VMware Communities
EchoGecko
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapter driver problem running Vista in Fusion 2.0 on Macbook Air

VMware Fusion Version 2.0 (116369). Vista Ultimate SP1.

Macbook Air OS-X 10.5.5. VMware Tools is installed in Vista.

I'm having a problem finding the right driver for the network adapter in Vista. The adapter shows up in Device Manager as missing a driver, and will not work with the various Intel PRO driver suggested on these pages. I

Running ipconfig /all in command prompt reveals no network cards installed/working.

Network adapter is connected according to VMware and set up as NAT (not that it makes a difference at this point).

I've tried uninstalling the network adapter from Vista, disabling the network adapter through VMware, shutting down Vista, enabling network adapter in VMware, and loading Vista. The network adapter is found as new hardware, but no appropriate driver can be found.

I've been searching through quite a lot of discussions but haven't found a working solution yet, so I'd be grateful for some assistance!

Thanks in advance.

//Andreas

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Andrew_Riley
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.. any solutions out there.. I have tried extracting the network drivers form the vmware tools install but no joy.

0 Kudos
BCS-Satori
Contributor
Contributor

Same exact problem...:-(. I have tried reinstalling multiple times both host and guest os. As well as extracted the drivers and searched with no luck.

I have the the exact same setup as first post. Macbook Pro 10.5.5, Vista Ultamite SP1 (64), VMware Fusion 2.0

0 Kudos
netsyd
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue - Vista Sp1 w/ Fusion 2.0 ... NIC driver not found or installed

0 Kudos
Andrew_Riley
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone from VMWARE moderating this forum and can provide a solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
grjansen1
Contributor
Contributor

When I set up the boot camp partition originally using only bootcamp, all of the apple drivers for ethernet and wireless worked just fine and the machine worked wonderfully as a Vista Ultimate 64 bit machine. Its window speed is 5.1 which is more than adequate to run all of my windows applications. I have a 200g drive and use 125g for the windows partition.

I then installed Fusion 2.0 and the program set up a boot camp partition using the 125g originally set up. This virtual Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit works just fine except that the ethernet and wireless drivers are missing and cannot be loaded regardless of what I tried to do. Also, the virtual machine runs Windows so slowly it is not useable. I tried to add the vmware tools but have had no success there. If they did install, it was not evident and I uninstalled them hoping that the machine will speed up.

Perhaps, when the machine is in virtual mode, any internet activity is meant to be carried out in the primary apple partition, which is why the ethernet driver does not install in the virtual machine.

I also installed another virtual machine using Ubuntu and less than 10g. This virtual machine can access the internet and do all of the other network tasks... there is no issue of missing drivers. Perhaps its just Windows Ultimate?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Andrew_Riley
Contributor
Contributor

Suggestion.. VMWare to provide suitable driver for Vista.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BCS-Satori
Contributor
Contributor

A response would be nice VMware. You have made our dual boots or virtual machines pointless now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yo. I didn't get a chance to try this until just now. We present a standard Intel E1000 NIC to the guest, and don't supply a driver because it should be be built into Vista.

To verify this, I just Easy Installed Vista Enterprise, 64-bit (not SP1, though, which might be important). Networking works for me, and under Device Manager it shows version 8.1.37.2, located at C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\E1G6032E.sys. I'm not clear whether this comes from Intel or Microsoft, but it's one of the two.

Are you using a full retail version of Vista? Does Vista see an E1000 NIC or some other adapter?

0 Kudos
Andrew_Riley
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Using retail release of Vista Ultimate

I would have assumed that the driver support between enterprise and ultimate and all other for that matter would be the same. ..However it is windows Smiley Happy

any other suggestions.. can we send any log files to you.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would have assumed that the driver support between enterprise and ultimate and all other for that matter would be the same. ..However it is windows Smiley Happy

I would assume so too; certainly other people have been able to use Vista Ultimate. However, my point is that it's not our driver, so it's not clear there's much for us to do.

any other suggestions

Did you check whether Vista is seeing an e1000? If the virtual machine was upgraded from a previous version of Windows, for example the virtual hardware might not have been updated.

0 Kudos
EchoGecko
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all

As original poster of the problem, I regret that I wasn't able to participate in the debate sooner.

@ etung: I searched for the e1000 nic driver file, and it's not there. I then did a google search to try and find the driver. I accidently stumbled upon a possible solution: adding the line ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" to the .VMX file. This worked for me!

To those of you (like me), who don't know what the .VMX file is or where it's located: navigate to the "Virtual Machines" folder in your Documents folder. Use right-click-->"Show Package Contents" on the virtual machine package (in my case it's named "Windows Vista Ultimate"). Once inside the package, scroll to the .VMX file (named the same way as the virtual machine package). Edit with e.g. TextEdit, and insert the following text line:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000". Save after adding the line.

Remember that the virtual machine needs to be closed down (not hibernated) while performing the above steps.

Boot your virtual machine and lean back while Vista installs the E1000 NIC driver automatically. After this, my internet connection worked like a charm.

I'm a little puzzled that no one suggested this solution....and even more puzzled that the line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"' isn't automatically added to the .VMX file, since this seems to be the proper solution.

Anyways, I hope that this helps anyone who had the same problem as me.

//Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

To those of you (like me), who don't know what the .VMX file is or where it's located

This is mentioned in

I'm a little puzzled that no one suggested this solution....and even more puzzled that the line 'ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"' isn't automatically added to the .VMX file

That's the thing - for a Vista virtual machine, it should be there by default, and is why I asked what type of adapter Vista thinks it's using (because I suspect that people with this problem are missing that line). Please post your .vmx file? Where did this virtual machine come from: is it a Boot Camp virtual machine, was it created in Fusion 1.x, 2.0, with Converter, with Importer (from where), somewhere else...?

0 Kudos
EchoGecko
Contributor
Contributor

The adapter did not show up as any specific adapter before I added the text line in the .VMX file - actually Vista had it listed as "Unknown Device".

It's a fresh Fusion 2.0 installation, with a fresh Windows Vista Ultimate installation - no conversion, upgrade or anything.

Here's (most of) my .VMX file:

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

memsize = "512"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows Vista Ultimate.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" <----

THIS IS THE LINE I ADDED -

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

serial0.present = "TRUE"

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

displayName = "Vista Ultimate"

guestOS = "winvista"

nvram = "Windows Vista Ultimate.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

printers.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "soft"

powerType.suspend = "soft"

powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "Windows Vista Ultimate.vmxf"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d 4b 8e 18 94 cb 57-4f 3a 4f cc 9f ae 64 a4"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 2b b7 18 17 87 5e-92 b3 b0 e4 00 49 d1 e9"

ide0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:49:d1:e9"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "4837865"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

ide1:0.fileName = "cdrom0"

tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

gui.fullScreenAtPowerOn = "TRUE"

gui.viewModeAtPowerOn = "fullscreen"

unity.wasCapable = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"

hgfs.mapRootShare = "TRUE"

hgfs.linkRootShare = "TRUE"

proxyApps.publishToGuest = "TRUE"

ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
BCS-Satori
Contributor
Contributor

Just tested on my BootCamp, and resolves were perfect. My Network card is back and auto installed.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Andrew_Riley
Contributor
Contributor

I got mine going aswell. Looks like my VMX file was referencing ethernet1.virtualDev no ethernet0.virtualDev

strange when it was a fresh install and fresh vmware host..

anyway thanks to all for the pointers.

Andrew

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

etung,

I had the same exact problem. Windows Vista was unable to find a driver for the network adapter. It was a Boot Camp virtual machine created in Fusion 2.0 and running Vista Ultimate (retail). Is there a .VMX file on a boot camp installation? I've been unable to find where the .VMX file would be located, does Fusion create a VMX file when it's a Boot camp installation?

Also, I did check the drivers folder in windows, and the following file is located in the driver's folder:

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\E1G6032E.sys

Unfortunately under Vista Ultimate x64, it doesn't seem to load the driver. I've tried to manually update the driver, but I've been unable to find a way to get the driver to work (or select that driver/file in particular). If I select the folder, it says that it's unable to find any compatible drivers.

+Are you using a full retail version of Vista? Does Vista see an E1000 NIC or some other adapter?+

Yes, using the full retail version of Vista Ultimate x64. No Vista does not see it as an "E1000" NIC, and Vista Ultimate does not have a "E1000" NIC listed in devices to choose from (but the driver you speak of is listed in the system32\drivers folder.

I've been unable to successfully install/load a driver, or find a way to get Vista to load the driver. Where is this VMX file located? It's located on the Mac correct? What folder? I've checked the Documents folder, and didn't find anything. I have a separate partition (boot camp partition) and have been unable to find a VMX file located anywhere.

Any ideas how I can get the driver installed and to work? Also you may want to get a retail copy of Vista Ultimate x64, and try a clean installation yourself, and you'll realize that it doesn't seem to work (the network driver doesn't install).

*I asked what type of adapter Vista thinks it's using (because I suspect that people with this problem are missing that line). *

Etung, Vista seems to show a yellow exclamation point (in device manager) next to the "Ethernet Adapter". It just calls it "Ethernet Adapter" (no specifics on name, or nothing). It just identifies it as "Ethernet Adapter". If you check the device ID value, it shows the following:

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_2000&SUBSYS_20001022&REV_10

For some reason this is the hardware device ID of the network adapter, but Vista Ultimate x64 doesn't seem to associate it with the "e1000" driver, nor is a "e1000" driver even listed.

So the vendor is listed as "1022" (not sure if that is Intel or not), and the device ID is listed as "2000" not sure if that is a E1000 NIC or not. But Vista doesn't seem to recognize the device, nor does it install the proper driver by default.

This seems to be a problem with Fusion displaying the wrong Hardware ID to Vista Ultimate x64. Because Vista Ultimate x64 is unable to find a driver that matches the hardware ID. Any ideas how I can work around this issue, and get the driver installed and working? Is there a VMX file for a boot camp installation, and if so... where is the VMX file located?

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, I stand corrected... I found the VMX file, it is located in a package called "Boot Camp partition".

The file is located in "/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/".

Then inside that directory there was a package called "Boot Camp partition". If you open that package, inside there is a "Boot Camp partition.vmx" file.

Added the following line to the .VMX file using TextEdit:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" <----

THIS IS THE LINE I ADDED

Saved the file, then booted up Fusion 2.0, and it found the new hardware, configured the driver (for the Intel 1000T network card), and everything worked perfectly!

Thank-you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a VMX file for a boot camp installation, and if so... where is the VMX file located?

Yes. See . Remember to only edit it when the virtual machine and Fusion are not running.

0 Kudos
mfcmb
Contributor
Contributor

Adding the following line to the .VMX file using TextEdit:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

Worked for me too. Thank you all very much!

FYI, my situation is:

(1) Running VMware Fusion 2.0.1 on a recent MacBook Pro.

(2) Created a virtual machine; installed Windows 98, upgraded to Windows 98SE, upgraded to Windows XP Home, installed service packs 1 to 3, upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate. (This is because all I have along this chain is upgrade disks.) Networking seemed to work all the way along the chain until I upgraded to Vista.

Hope this background info helps someone.

0 Kudos