VMware Communities
antoineps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to install Tools every time I launch Fusion

I am running Fusion v2.0.2. The guest operating system is Windows XP Home Edition. The computer is a macbook pro (early 2007). Every time, I launch Fusion, I need to reinstall VMWare Tools by going to the menu bar, clicking on "Virtual Machine" and selecting "Install VMWare Tools". Someone responded in another thread that one shouldn't need to install Tools beyond the first time. Any ideas on what's wrong with my setup?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lhorchol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Antoine,

then your problem with Tools is not the one that was fixed with this latest build of 2.0.2 (147997). However, I wonder if you really need to install Tools in your VM? Is not because the menu item "Install VMware Tools" in the "Virtual Machine" menu is not disabled that it means you need to install tools in your VM. In general, if VMware Tools are not up to date, once your VM is powered on and running you should see the little blue icon with the three cubes (Vmware symbol) on the Windows task bar, bottom right, blinking. In any case, to check if you really have an old tools version, right click on this little blue icon in the Windows Task Bar and open Vmware Tools properties dialog. Select the "About" tab (last one) and check the Version shown. In particular, the build no. shown there should be the same as the Fusion build no. (that you can get from VMWare Fusion "About VMware Fusion" menu). If these two values are the same, then there is no need to upgrade VMware tools.

I will look into the other problem you mentioned about Boocamp VM running slowly.

Thanks,

Laura

-

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lhorchol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Antoine,

which build no. of Fusion 2.0.2 are you using? If you donwloaded 146107, then you should donwload a new build that become available Friday night , 147997, which solves this issue:

VMware Tools upgrade fails in non-English language Windows virtual machines

After upgrading to VMware Fusion 2.0.2 Build 146107, a VMware Tools upgrade might fail with internal error 2229

in a non-English language Windows virtual machine. This failure might

occur during VMware Tools auto upgrade after powering on and logging in

to the virtual machine, or when you manually start the VMware Tools

upgrade by selecting Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools from the virtual machine menu.

Workaround: Download the newer VMware Fusion Build 147997 and reinstall VMware Fusion 2.0.2.

Hope this helps,

Laura-

0 Kudos
antoineps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

(1) I just downloaded v146107. I still have to Install VMware Tools everytime I launch Fusion. Please see the attached image of my Fusion Window.

(2) The other problem which is causing a lot more grief and frustration is that running Fusion with the Boot Camp partition (Windows XP) is very slow. I tried a test per someone else's recommendation. I installed a virtual machine running Windows XP. It runs significantly faster. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
lhorchol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Antoine,

then your problem with Tools is not the one that was fixed with this latest build of 2.0.2 (147997). However, I wonder if you really need to install Tools in your VM? Is not because the menu item "Install VMware Tools" in the "Virtual Machine" menu is not disabled that it means you need to install tools in your VM. In general, if VMware Tools are not up to date, once your VM is powered on and running you should see the little blue icon with the three cubes (Vmware symbol) on the Windows task bar, bottom right, blinking. In any case, to check if you really have an old tools version, right click on this little blue icon in the Windows Task Bar and open Vmware Tools properties dialog. Select the "About" tab (last one) and check the Version shown. In particular, the build no. shown there should be the same as the Fusion build no. (that you can get from VMWare Fusion "About VMware Fusion" menu). If these two values are the same, then there is no need to upgrade VMware tools.

I will look into the other problem you mentioned about Boocamp VM running slowly.

Thanks,

Laura

-

0 Kudos
antoineps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're correct. The three cubes are there, and it appears that I do not need to reinstall Tools.

Note that by default, when I open Fusion, the menu under "Virtual Machine" lists "Install VMware Tools" even though as you indicate I don't need to if the three cubes are on the dock. However, if I install Tools nonetheless, that menu item changes from "Install VMware Tools" to "Update VMware Tools".

Anyway, thanks for your help on this issue. I greatly appreciate it.

If you find an answer on the slow performance when running the boot camp partition, that would be fantastic!

Thanks again,

Antoine

0 Kudos
lhorchol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad it worked but you're right, there is a bug in the incorrect status shown in the Virtual Machine Menu for Tools Installation (I'll file it),

Thanks,

Laura

-

0 Kudos
antoineps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please keep me updated if you find any solution to the slow performance when running a boot camp partition (Windows XP Home with all updates). That problem, with the temporary freezes and slow response time, results in so much wasted time on my part waiting often for the applications and system to return control to the user.

0 Kudos