VMware Communities
jeffshepard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need help with upgrade to VMware Fusion 2.0

The instructions say to "navigate to the folder where the virtual machine file is saved, and make a backup copy..."

I have been looking and looking but I can't find any folder called "Virtual Machines" in order to duplicate it. Any help would be awesome. I am using OS X Tiger on my Intel iMac.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well first of all the .localized extension is hidden by default and one would not normally see it in Finder although in a Terminal one would. Secondly the .localized extension may not exist on the Virtual Machines folder under Tiger IIRC.

Virtual Machines created natively in Fusion have a .vmwarevm extension (hidden by default) on the folder the files that comprise the Virtual Machine are stored and this makes it a Document Package so searching in Spotlight for vmwarevm is one way to find the Virtual Machine Package.

Another way to search the hard drive is to use the find command in a Terminal looking for either *.vmwarevm or *.vmx and the latter is especially if you have any Virtual Machines that are not in a Package. Using Terminal the command would be as follows.

sudo find / -name *.vmwarevm

Or

sudo find / -name *.vmx

This type of search can take a while a since it searches the entire hard drive starting in the root of the drive.

Also have a look at

If you do not have a Virtual Machines folder within the Documents folder you might have a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and that is located at the following location.

"/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have been looking and looking but I can't find any folder called "Virtual Machines" in order to duplicate it.

It should be in your Mac's Documents directory, as Virtual Machines.localized.

jeffshepard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your post Boris, I appreciate the help so far. However, searching Computer>Macintosh HD>Users> (any of the three accounts here)>Documents doesn't lead to finding anything with the terms "virtual" and/or "machine." A spotlight search for ".localized" comes up with a number of "x.localized" files but nothing that fits what I am looking for. Nothing show up in a spotlight search for "virtual" or "machine" (except for "time machine").

What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks, jeff

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well first of all the .localized extension is hidden by default and one would not normally see it in Finder although in a Terminal one would. Secondly the .localized extension may not exist on the Virtual Machines folder under Tiger IIRC.

Virtual Machines created natively in Fusion have a .vmwarevm extension (hidden by default) on the folder the files that comprise the Virtual Machine are stored and this makes it a Document Package so searching in Spotlight for vmwarevm is one way to find the Virtual Machine Package.

Another way to search the hard drive is to use the find command in a Terminal looking for either *.vmwarevm or *.vmx and the latter is especially if you have any Virtual Machines that are not in a Package. Using Terminal the command would be as follows.

sudo find / -name *.vmwarevm

Or

sudo find / -name *.vmx

This type of search can take a while a since it searches the entire hard drive starting in the root of the drive.

Also have a look at

If you do not have a Virtual Machines folder within the Documents folder you might have a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and that is located at the following location.

"/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

0 Kudos