VMware Communities
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Game does not accept VMWare video card.

Hi,

I just installed Age of Mythology into an XP vm; when I try to launch the game, I get this error:

Video Card 0: vmx_fb.dll VMware SVGA II Vendor(0x15AD) Device(0x405)

... and the game refuses to launch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Dumb question: Do you have 3D acceleration enabled for this guest?

0 Kudos
Kajukenbokid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Not a dumb question .. and yes, I have tested it on and off and it still does not work.

My guess is that we need to fool the game into thinking the vm video display is some other acceptable display card.

.. But that's just a guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stef

0 Kudos
spunkybart
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I had seen your post earlier since I just came across the same error message.

I have Age of Mythology (AOM) for my iMac, and I also have AOM for my Windows laptop. I wanted to play the game over my wireless LAN with my friend, but it turns out that the Mac version can't play over a LAN with the Windows version.

Okay, fine.

The game is old and cheap, so I bought another copy of the Windows version, thinking I would play it in VMWare on the Mac while my friend plays from the Windows laptop.

No dice!. I now find out that AOM will install under VMWare but won't actually play using the VMWare video card!

Alas, I wish there was a way that VMWare could emulate a supported video card...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the present time the only suggestion I can offer would be to use Windows with Boot Camp and then you could play the game over the wireless LAN with your friend.

0 Kudos
ocozette
Contributor
Contributor

To play with Age of Mythology under vmware (tested successfully under my vmware workstation 7), you must create a file named

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\0x15AD_vmware.gfx"

For dummies do :

- start->run and type cmd.exe

- type "cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig"

- type <<notepad "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\0x15AD_vmware.gfx>> (all text betwenn << and >> must be typed) and confirm yes create.

- enter the following text in notepad, save and qui notepad

- now age of mythology is working !

Notice, I used latest addition, if you doesn't have latest vmware tools, you must get the driver date and replace day, month and year (9/21/2009 in my case). To get them do :"right click" on desktop, tab parammetter, click on advanced, click on second tab, click on property, click on driver and you will get the correct month/day/year

In this this file you must put the following lines:

Vendor=VMware

defaultdevice=CyberBladeXP.gfx

Month=9

Day=21

Year=2009

Product=0

Version=0

SubVersion=0

Build=0

0x405=CyberBladeXP,CyberBladeXP.gfx

0 Kudos
ocozette
Contributor
Contributor

Oops, my previous post was incorectly dysplayed.

To play with Age of Mythology under vmware (tested successfully under my vmware workstation 7), you must create a file named

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\0x15AD_vmware.gfx"

For dummies do :

- start->run and type cmd.exe

- type "cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig"

- type <<notepad "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\0x15AD_vmware.gfx>> (all text betwenn << and >> must be typed) and confirm yes create.

- enter the following text in notepad, save and qui notepad

- now age of mythology is working !

Notice, I used latest addition, if you doesn't have latest vmware tools, you must get the driver date and replace day, month and year (9/21/2009 in my case). To get them do :"right click" on desktop, tab parammetter, click on advanced, click on second tab, click on property, click on driver and you will get the correct month/day/year

\[config\]

Vendor=VMware

\[knownGoodDriver\]

Month=9

Day=21

Year=2009

Product=0

Version=0

SubVersion=0

Build=0

\[device\]

0 Kudos
arjunvenkatrama
Contributor
Contributor

@ ocozette...thanks dude...this worked...mostly...

In addition to saving "0x15AD_vmware.gfx" in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\", you also need to save it in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig2\"

So you will end up with:

1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig\0x15AD_vmware.gfx"

2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\gfxconfig2\0x15AD_vmware.gfx"

both with the same content

Then...it work!!!

0 Kudos
1Bluefur
Contributor
Contributor

I tried both these fixes and the game still gives me a graphics error. I input the latest driver dates and everything. This is what I get in the dialogue:

" 8/2/2012 11.9.1.0"

I even tried using the date there in the files but to no avail. I find this error very strange and I'd be very grateful if someone could help me out.

0 Kudos
Duey1
Contributor
Contributor

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

0 Kudos
Duey1
Contributor
Contributor

it does nothing game still runs the same error as before

0 Kudos
Inkbreton
Contributor
Contributor

HI all

I know why it can't works !

in the file put the lines as said in the second message of ocozette :

[config]

Vendor=VMware

[knownGoodDriver]

Month=9

Day=21

Year=2009

Product=0

Version=0

SubVersion=0

Build=0

[device]

End of file

Never forget to check the good date of u'r device and it will works ! (1 hour to find the problem of "\" in the code !)

0 Kudos