VMware Communities
gman1866
Contributor
Contributor

MacOS 11.6 Upgrade - Fusion Player 12 - Unity Mode Not Working Properly

I am wondering if anyone else is encountering the following issue after the MacOS 11.6 upgrade that was released on September 13, 2021.

• Running VMWare Fusion Player 12 (12.1.2)
  • Updated MacOS to 11.6.  Was previously on MacOS 11.5
  • Running Windows 10 in VM.  Latest Windows Service Packs, etc.
  • After the MacOS 11.6 upgrade
    • If I try to run the VM in Unity Mode, the Windows Taskbar no longer shows on the MacOS desktop.
    • I go back to Single Window mode, open an application, such as Notepad.
    • I go back to Unity Mode, the VM becomes extremely sluggish almost unresponsive.  
    • If I can get back to Single Window mode, I now notice an extreme amount of instances of the Notepad application opened.  I did not manually create these new instances.  It does not matter which Windows application I open, this issue happens with anything, such as Chrome, etc.
  • I have re-installed VMWare Fusion Player.  I have re-installed VMWare Tools.  This does not resolve this issue.
  • Single Window and Full Screen Mode in VMWare Fusion Player 12 seem to be working properly.
27 Replies
CindyCh
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem.

I am running VMWare Fusion Player (12.1.2) to run Windows XP.  I also tried the same workaround (placing in Single mode then changing to Unity mode) and the program I am trying to run (Autocad 6) starts up multiple times.  I have to CTRL ALT DEL to stop the loop.  

vselep
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problem...

I can run fine in single window mode (Windows 10, latest revs), but if I switch to Unity it creates multiple instances of whatever I have running...like opening 12 instances of Excel if I try to enter Unity with just a single spreadsheet open. I don't seem to be able to enter Unity with no apps running so I can't say if switching to unity first and then trying to open things would work any better.

I had to restart the VM to exit...I'll have to try the Cntl Alt Del to stop it.

Tags (1)
CindyCh
Contributor
Contributor

drhaller1
Contributor
Contributor

Me too -

Fusion Professional Version 12.1.2 (17964953), with latest Windows 10 updates on MacOS 11.6.  

If I open an app like Chrome or Microsoft Outlook in "Single Window" or "Full Screen" mode on my Windows VM then try to goto "Unity Mode".  I get clone after clone of the open Windows app opening up again and again and quickly have to use Task Manager to stop the nonsense.

At least Full Screen mode works for now - hope this gets patched quickly!

/dan

Maestranza
Contributor
Contributor

Am new to messaging in the forum. I have struck the same problem in Unity after updating Mac OS last week.  I understand that this is a bug and that it is being investigated.  Was wondering where one would find the fix once it has been released.  Not using the VM Ware website all that often makes things a bit overwhelming.  Grateful for any help, thanks. 

0 Kudos
louisnyc
Contributor
Contributor

Same exact issue with me.

0 Kudos
MatteCarde
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem,

I running VMware Fusion Player 12.1.2, all works fine in unity mode in MacOs 11.6 until today upgrade of Safari to version 15.0.

The system work well  in fullscreen or window mode but if I try to run any windows applications system start to open an infinity amount of application instance. The only thing I can do is force the shutdown of Fusion.

0 Kudos
RedRam20
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem with the same configuration VMware Fusion 12.1.2 and Mac OS 11.6.  

0 Kudos
MacRicow
Contributor
Contributor

Same kind of issue here: in Unity mode, Windows doesn't appear in the dock and is looping opening applications. As soon as I let him run, it will open dozens of instances of the same application. It affects other applications since Fusion is non stop getting the focus. There is a way to get out of it without quitting or shutting down by clicking in the Fusion menu until you get the dropdown appear then you can access the window mode where you can quit all applications instances which were opened.

By the way, I had a bug with the single window or fullscreen mode because I was not able to click and found in the forum how to resolve it by closing Fusion, manually removing Fusion from the System preferences Security & privacy > Privacy > Accessibility and add it again then restart Fusion. It resolved the click bug (so now I can use it in Single mode), but got no chance with the opening application loop bug.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

We have resolved this issue and will be shipping an update in the next point release.

Thanks for everyone chiming in, we moved on it with high priority!

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
RedRam20
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a projected date for the next point release?

Roger5
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem using VMWare Fusion Player V12 to run WindowsXP and the Quicken 2004 App. When I try to enter Unity Quicken is started up multiple times. I also have Safari15 starting multiple times when I try to switch back to MacOS. Working without unity is OK. 

0 Kudos
xj_hz_cn
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a projected date for the next point release?

viithsign
Contributor
Contributor

When is this update dropping?

0 Kudos
Fredo255255
Contributor
Contributor

ETA on the release please? This issue is making my workflow fairly painful...

Thanks!

NateW
Contributor
Contributor

What is the time frame for the point release?  This is a major dis-function, if you have it fixed release the fix.

Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's shipping next week.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
hallstein
Contributor
Contributor

can't wait - this is very disruptive to my workflow.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
csmi125
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on when this release will be available this week?

0 Kudos