VMware Communities
golfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor

Login failed due to bad username or password

I'm using the VMware Fusion Migration Assistant (v.3.0.2) to attempt to move my old PC to VM on my new MacBookPro.

I keep getting this error message:

"Converter failed to connect to remote machine. Login failed due to bad username or password."

The PC is running Windows 7. I downloaded the pc2mac migration utility. Both machines are on the same network. I started the connection and entered the 4 digits I saw pop up on the PC.

But for some reason it doesn't like my username and password.

My PC username is "Pat", which is the only account on the machine and is the administrator account.

I followed the instructions to turn off UAC, and rebooted the PC. So all should be good there.

I've changed the password for the Pat account, removed the password for the Pat account, but still no joy. I've even typed in "pat", "Pat","administrator", and "Administrator" as the usernames. Again, no joy.

On the surface, it appears I'm doing everything exactly right, it just doesn't like any form of my username and password.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
glockamy
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I am no help because I am having the exact same problem!

So much for easy.

I'm entering the correct username and password, and like you, I have tried different passwords, restarted my PC multiple times, and started the transfer process over. All to no avail.

Anyone able to help?

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

The requirements on username/password are that you enter the username for an account with Administrator privileges, and that you have a non-blank password.

When Fusion asks for the username and password, it means that it has resolved the IP address of your computer by matching the 4-digit passcode you typed in. That implies there is some level of network connectivity between the two computers, so let's rule out a network problem for now.

You don't have anything funky like Klingon script in your username or password, do you? "Pat" is (excuse me) pretty vanilla, but I've seen some off-the-wall passwords. Letters, digits, and punctuation are all fine, of course.

Can you post the logfiles from VMware Converter so I can take a look?

On XP, the logfile is c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs\vmware-converter-agent-N.log and ...\logs\vmware\converter-server-N.log. Send me the most recent logfiles for each, or just zip up the whole "logs" file and attach it. This file does not contain any personal information.

On Vista/Win7, the logfiles are in c:\ProgramData\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs.

Note that these folders may be hidden in Windows Explorer, depending on your folder settings. A command prompt can get there, though.

0 Kudos
glockamy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not the original poster, but since I'm having the same problem, I hope it's ok for me to post here.

My login name and password are very simple - not even any numbers or characters; four letters for the name, eight letters for the password.

Here's my most recent log:

Section for VMware vCenter Converter Standalone, pid=2952, version=e.x.p, build=build-196547, option=Release

Failed to create console writer

Current working directory: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

TaskMax=60, IoMin=1, IoMax=121

Trying converter_server

Plugin 0 path: converter-server.dll

Plugin 0 absolute path: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter-server.dll

Initializing SSL Contexts

Using system libcrypto, version 9070AF

Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000

Initializing certificates

32 max LROs

6 reserved internal LROs

6 reserved short LROs

12 reserved long LROs

86400-second task lifetime

Locale subsystem initialized from C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\locale\ with default locale en.

Local Domain : WORKGROUP

IsWorkgroup: Yes

Local Machine: ERIC

ServerPlugin Init

Trying converter_server_logic

Plugin 1 path: converter-logic.dll

Plugin 1 absolute path: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\converter-logic.dll

Initializing Converter::Logic::ServiceInstance ...

LogicPlugin Init

Trying ufa_agent

Plugin 2 path: ufa-agent.dll

Plugin 2 absolute path: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\ufa-agent.dll

Initializing SSL context

Mime type: properties = text/plain

Mime type: js = text/javascript

Mime type: css = text/css

Micro web server pipeName:
.\pipe\vmware-converter-web

Using default for nonChunkingAgents: 'VMware VI Client|VMware-client|VMware-client/3.*'

Using default for agentsNeedingContentLength: 'VMware-client'

Max buffered response size is 104857600 bytes

HTTP server created with docroots C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\docRoot, chunked responses enabled: true

Micro web server created

Plugin initialized

Event[16]

License feature unavailable

ServerPlugin Start

LogicPlugin Start

Proxy service created: http port (80), https port (443)

Created endpoint 80

-- BEGIN -- TaskManager

vmacore/ssl/useSSLCtxPool: true

vmacore/ssl/serializeServerHandshake: false

Created endpoint 443

Proxy service initialized

Proxy: Starting new Proxy service

Proxy: Starting new Proxy service

SOAP pipe name:
.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap

Using default for nonChunkingAgents: 'VMware VI Client|VMware-client|VMware-client/3.*'

Using default for agentsNeedingContentLength: 'VMware-client'

Max buffered response size is 104857600 bytes

doPendedPostBodyReads: false, enableChunkedResponses: true

Http Service started:

Soap (over Named Pipe) started on pipe
.\pipe\vmware-converter-server-soap. enableRemoteAccess = false, nonRootAccess = true, useSSL = false

Http Service started:

Web Server started

Plugin started

System libeay32.dll library is older than our library (9070AF < 90809F)

vmware-converter-server service started

SSLStreamImpl::DoServerHandshake (2F29138) SSL_accept failed with Unexpected EOF

SSL Handshake failed for stream TCPStreamWin32(socket=TCP(fd=904) local=10.0.0.4:443, peer=10.0.0.7:50382), error=SSL Exception: Unexpected EOF

User agent is 'VMware-client'

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: true UnderstandsChunking: false CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength 262)

HTTP Response: Auto-completing at 262/262 bytes

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 0 bytes)

IO Exception while dispatch HTTP request: class Vmacore::IOException(IO error: Cannot flush -- Already flushed or output not set?)

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: true UnderstandsChunking: false CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 1491 bytes)

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: true UnderstandsChunking: false CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength -1)

Error 87 authenticating user .\.

Failed to lookup account WORKGROUP\ (err: 1332, )

Failed to authenticate user

Event[17]

HTTP Response: Complete (processed 573 bytes)

SSLStreamImpl::DoServerHandshake (2F9A2B0) SSL_accept failed with Unexpected EOF

SSL Handshake failed for stream TCPStreamWin32(socket=TCP(fd=1220) local=10.0.0.4:443, peer=10.0.0.7:50396), error=SSL Exception: Unexpected EOF

HTTP Response: Client: NeedsContentLength: true UnderstandsChunking: false CanKeepAlive: true (PresetContentLength 262)

IO Exception while dispatch HTTP request: class Vmacore::IOException(IO error: Cannot flush -- Already flushed or output not set?)

Event[18]

Read timeout after approximately 50000ms. Closing stream

SSLStreamImpl::DoServerHandshake (2F44B30) SSL_accept failed with Unexpected EOF

SSL Handshake failed for stream TCPStreamWin32(socket=TCP(fd=1232) local=10.0.0.4:443, peer=10.0.0.7:50618), error=SSL Exception: Unexpected EOF

Event[19]

Read timeout after approximately 50000ms. Closing stream

CloseSession called for session id=54B29F1F-7A0F-4BCF-A33A-E3F52ACB2918

CloseSession called for session id=BB626CCD-4F27-4123-B3B6-A3C14BB4EF37

CloseSession called for session id=174B2D9F-F668-44B9-819F-BB056D7F5059

0 Kudos