VMware Communities
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linux Guest Cannot Mount /mnt/hgfs "no such device"

Upgraded to 1.1.2 today. Updated VMWare Tools. Ran vmware-config-tools.pl. Rebooted. Now, Fusion won't mount /mnt/hgfs (was working fine before upgrade).

I have verified /etc/fstab is correct (the upgrade overwrote it, BTW). Running the command vmware-hgfsclient shows my defined share point on the Mac. Using "mount /mnt/hgfs" reports "no such device" even though the directory does exist.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I use this VM work and I'm stuck!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This issue is fixed in Fusion 1.1.3, according to the Release Notes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
47 Replies
ddc74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same exact problem with a linux VM that worked previous to 1.1.2 as well.

I went ahead and created a whole new VM from scratch and it has the same problem. I'm running CentOS 5.1 if that helps.

-D

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting. I'm using CentOS 4.6. I wonder if its a RH/CentOS issue or if that's just a red herring.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What distro and kernel are you using?

0 Kudos
neptune2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same for me: broken under Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. Works OK in Ubuntu 7.10.

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS 4.6, kernel 2.6.9-67.0.7ELsmp

0 Kudos
neptune2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BTW, I can clearly see the message:

Mounting HGFS FAILED

during RHEL5 boot.

0 Kudos
ddc74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CentOS 5.1, using kernel 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

0 Kudos
neptune2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop, kernel release 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for reporting this. I'm told the pre-built HGFS modules are simply broken. We're trying to figure out the best way to fix this.

0 Kudos
isv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea when this issue will be fixed?

I'm on RHEL 5.1 client and after upgrading to 1.1.2 hgfs is inoperative. Is there an easy way to downgrade back to 1.1.1?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware Tools are stored in ISO files under /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages. If you can install Fusion 1.1.1 or have another installation of Fuson on another Mac, copy the linux.iso from the directory above, rename it to LinuxTools111.iso and attach it as a regular CD image to your Linux machine under 1.1.2.

In your Linux VM with the 1.1.2 Tools, as root, run /usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl Then connect the v1.1.1 Linux Tools ISO, and install the Tools package under /mnt/cdrom.

ddc74
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any idea of how long this will take to fix?

Also, you mentioned the pre-built hgfs is the part that is broken. Is there a way to manually create hgfs without the X-win application?

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rather than having to install the old version, move files, etc, etc... would it be possible for someone there to provide us with the 1.1.1 tools ISO image? I don't have time to do a bunch of installing/uninstalling right now. That image is running a DB I need for development, and I have a lot to get done today.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry, I mispoke, you don't have to install Fusion 1.1.1 to get the old Tools. Just re-download Fusion 1.1.1 from the Fusion downloads page and download Pacifist. Pacifist will let you extract the ISO from the installer package. With Pacifist navigate to:

Contents of VMware-Fusion-1.1.1.dmg > Install Vmware Fusion.app > Contents > Resources > Contents Of Install Vmware Fusion.pkg > Library > Application Support > VMware Fusion > isoimages.

Extract linux.iso and you're set.

thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, I've got the .iso extracted, moved and mounted under the guest OS; however, I have no vmware-uninstall-tools.pl. The only script in the directory is vmware-config-tools.pl

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The uninstall script is present in /usr/bin if you've installed any version of VMware Tools. On the ISO CD image, it's probably embedded in the tar.gz or .rpm file. For me /usr/bin is my PATH, so I would only have to type vmware-uninstall-tools.pl. I would try that first.

Otherwise you can untar the Tools package and hunt for the uninstall Tools script in there.

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No luck. Smiley Sad

Removed the old tools, mounted the 1.1.1 tools image, installed, configured, rebooted... same problem. I'm getting "Failed" messages on mount at boot, and "No such device" when trying to mount manually once booted.

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone able to successfully install and run the 1.1.1 version tools under 1.1.2 per rcardona2k's instructions?

0 Kudos
thug
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

rcardona2k:

1) Any progress on a fix, or an idea of how long it will take?

2) In the meantime, is there another method for the guest to reach the host's files? SSHFS maybe?

Thanks.

0 Kudos