VMware Communities
jabakobob
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone successfully running a macOS Catalina as guest OS?

I've managed to install macOS Catalina 10.15.4 on VMWare Fusion 11.5.3, but there are severe graphics errors that make tabs in all apps unusable. The tab bar is drawn incorrectly with a glitched / black background.

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 17.01.10.png

As you can see, it's very hard to recognize which tab is active (screenshot shows problem in Finder, but it also occurs in other apps).

Is anybody else running Catalina as a guest OS? Are you seeing this problem too?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

So two things:

1) Make sure you manually install VMWare tools in the guest.

2) OSX Guests don't have 3d acceleration, which the OS and some applications expect, so you will have some level of graphics issues.

0 Kudos
jabakobob
Contributor
Contributor

2) OSX Guests don't have 3d acceleration, which the OS and some applications expect, so you will have some level of graphics issues.

Does that mean the black tabs are to be expected when hosting Catalina? This makes virtualized Catalina very hard to use. Can anybody confirm that this bug is a known issue?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yes, black tabs in some applications is expected (if they use the 3d acceleration API's) - it's not a bug in Fusion, it's a limitation of OSX as a guest.  It'll vary between applications.

One note - you have to manually install VMWare tools in OSX guests sometimes (I've found I always do).

0 Kudos