VMware Communities
reihl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is Fusion 7 Pro supported on MacOS Sierra host?

I have an MacBook Pro (non-Retina, 13.3-inch, Late 2012) with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU and 16G memory. I'm going to upgrade to MacOS Sierra when it becomes publicly available.

If I upgrade to Sierra will Fusion 7 Pro continue to work on a Sierra host?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
reihl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

‌I managed to upgrade to macOS Sierra and it's working. howe som it's enteri to crash loops and you need forces quite from the application

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

From, VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search select host OS and then you'll get

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2088571

Which tells you that for Fusion 7, El Capitan isn't even an officially supported host OS.

So will MacOS Sierra work? Perhaps

Will Fusion 7 be supported on MacOS Sierra? Nope

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Since 8.5 is free, and they have discounted the upgrade, now's a great time to get current.

0 Kudos
eddie1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the question is no?

Could be it still should work, but it is not supported. That is an answer.

But is Fusion 8.5 and Sierra supported?

My version of Fusion 6 worked fine with El Capitan by the way. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could be it still should work, but it is not supported. That is an answer.

For the moment that IS the answer.

So far, nobody here at the forum has claimed that it worked well.

Just seen a few problems reported with both Fusion 6 and Fusion 7.

While Fusion 6 might have worked well for you with El Capitan, it had some issues.

I seem to recollect, something with Windows 10 support and something with unity, but.. if you don't depend on that, then it "works fine".

But I might remember the exact issues wrong at the moment.

So sure, do try. We'd love to hear your findings. Smiley Happy

(Not that I personally depend on older versions of Fusion, but it is always good to know the outcome as more people will ask the same question over time)

Fusion 8.5 and Sierra is indeed supported.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
thompsam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This question seems to remain unanswered. Clearly Fusion 7 is not SUPPORTED on Sierra, but will version 7 start and run existing Windows VMs.  If anyone has upgraded to Sierra and is successfully running Fusion Version 7, please share your experience.  Got to be someone who has version 7 and has upgraded the OS.

0 Kudos
reihl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

‌I managed to upgrade to macOS Sierra and it's working. howe som it's enteri to crash loops and you need forces quite from the application

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

It has problems, including crashes and hangs among others.  Make sure you have good reliable backups if you're going to try it (time machine isn't).

You'll get bit eventually.  VMWare has discounted upgrades - it's worth the price.

0 Kudos
RayButler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had Fusion 6, running on OSX El Capitan, which worked fine for my Windows 7 and XP VMs.

Then I upgraded to MacOS Sierra and it broke...my experience today was as follows:

(1) Fusion 6 (6.0.6): neither Windows 7 nor XP VMs would "resume" from their suspended state: just hung there forever saying that it is resuming (but nothing happening on the progress bar)

(2) Installed Fusion 7.1.3 ...30 day trial (I know 7 is not the latest version but I just wanted to see): tried again to start resuming Windows: a popup said that the VM has extra features now...but then it crashed after I closed the popup.

(3) Installed Fusion 8.5...30 day trial: tried again to start resuming Windows: a popup said that the VM has extra features now...but then it halted with the error popup "Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to".

-> https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10034...  ...says to reboot if you get that error

-> rebooted, tried again: this time Windows 7 *did* come out of suspension!

-> rebooted Windows then, so as to pick up changes etc.

So it looks like Fusion 8.5 is the only way to get things going again on Sierra.

PS. The current upgrade price to v8.5 is €50...is that already the best one can get in terms of discounts, or should I wait a while for one of their special offers to come round?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

PS. The current upgrade price to v8.5 is €50...is that already the best one can get in terms of discounts, or should I wait a while for one of their special offers to come round?

There's usually discounts around special events (think Christmas, black Friday and the like) but what we see in the past is not a guarantee for the future.

Especially as 8.5 already was a free upgrade for paying customers. Also considering that normally Fusion 6 would not have been eligible for an upgrade to a Fusion product released 3 versions later, I'd say you have a good deal now.

Having said that... there might come another discount, but I would not hold my breath for it.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
cswifi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I came across this thread while searching for the same answer and will update with my experience.

I exported a Windows 10 x64 VM from Fusion 7 running on El Capitan to a new Macbook Pro running macOS Sierra, also using Fusion 7. Any time I would try to start the VM I would get "Internal Error", with no apparent error messages in any of the mac logs. I thought maybe it was an export/import error so I tried to create a new VM in macOS Sierra based on a Windows 10 x64 installation iso, and it threw the same Internal Error on startup, and I couldn't even install it.

I downloaded Fusion 8 trial version and upgraded my install of Fusion to it, and it runs both the original imported VM and the new VM just fine.

So, I would upgrade to Fusion 8 for macOS Sierra, at least if you plan on trying to run Windows 10.

0 Kudos