VMware Communities
thoen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interface vmnet1 is not present.

When attempting to use Host Only on a Mac installation of VMWare and Windows 7 as the guest, I get the following error:

Interface vmnet1 is not present. This should be created at boot time; please check your installation and try again after you have corrected this.
Failed to connect virtual device Ethernet0.

I wanted to be able to connect to the guest from the host when the host was not on a network, and therefore the guest would not be assigned an IP using Bridged.

Any advice as to how to "check my installation and try again after I have corrected this." would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion in an attempt to correct the "Interface vmnet1 is not present. This should be created at boot time;" error message. Make sure you use the uninstaller and not drag the VMware Fusion.app to the Trash. Also note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not delete your Virtual Machines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. Your post has been moved to the Fusion forum.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion in an attempt to correct the "Interface vmnet1 is not present. This should be created at boot time;" error message. Make sure you use the uninstaller and not drag the VMware Fusion.app to the Trash. Also note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not delete your Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
ctrlb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling/Reinstalling did fix the problem, but it was only a temp fix.

I received this error after modifying my DHCP settings (/Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking) in Fusion 4. I continued to get it until I ran the following commands:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop
/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --config
/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start
You can check your current status using
/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --status