VMware Communities
IntentionallyLe
Contributor
Contributor

Import VMPlayer Virtual Worlds

I have a number of virtual machines which were created on a Ubuntu Linux system with VMPlayer. Recently, I moved my development to a MacBook running Yosemite and have downloaded the 30 day trial version of Fusion 7 to determine if that will be sufficient to purchase or whether I need the more expensive Fusion Pro 7.

Fusion 7 installed very easily but I cannot find a way to import the existing VMPlayer virtual machines into Fusion.

When I access the "Import An Existing Virtual Machine", menu pick, I can navigate to the folder which contains the VMPlayer virtual machine but nothing is selectable.

The documentation for Fusion 7 mentions VMPlayer very little at all.

This was possible with earlier versions of Fusion since a former co-developer would do this very frequently.

Is this type of import possible with Fusion 7 or is this a case of features stripped out during the trial period?

Thanks.

I did submit a ticket to the VMWare support group which was rejected since I have yet to purchase the product.  I do not want to purchase this if I cannot import a number of these older virtual worlds.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You do not use the File > Import commands for an existing VM created in VMware Workstation/Player!  Simply use the File > Open... command... (or File > Open and Run...) command while selecting the .vmx configuration file for the target VM.  Or just double-click the .vmx configuration file for the target VM from Finder.

If you want to change the folder that the files that comprise the files that make up the VM to a package, the default document type created by VMware Fusion, you can first add a .vmwarevm extension to the folders name.

IntentionallyLe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I found that after my OP.

I had tried the double click in the Finder and that was not launching Fusion 7.

I had overlooked the File->Open option originally since the UI window that pops up didn't seem to present that option and was more steering me towards the "Import Existing VM" path.

I have been used to VMPlayer where when you copy a VM, you need to Add it to the list of VMs before trying to open it.  The Fusion UI window was just close enough to that method that it sent me in the wrong direction.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos