VMware Communities
inaloop
Contributor
Contributor

How to take Fusion + Linux "on-the-road"?

Will be traveling for 3 months, and can only take my old MacBook Pro with me.  MacBook has OSX 10.6.8, & Fusion 3.3 that loads Win7 x64.

I need to have a Linux distribution with me.  Restrictions (a) cannot upgrade 10.6.8 due to legacy software, (b) Hard drive is partitioned with Bootcamp (yeah, it was a stupid decision).  Not enough roomon HD to repartition.

Thinking/asking ... (1) can I use my current Vmware to load up Suse Linux from a stick or an external hard drive?  (2) Should I just get a new copy of Vmware that I load onto a stick or an external drive along with Suse?

Recommendations?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you have an external hard drive you could copy your existing SUSE VM to it and run it from your old system using VMware Fusion 3.1.x.  If necessary, you may need to downgrade its virtual hardware before running it on the old system.  You can do this just to the copy on the external hard drive from the newer version of VMware Fusion you're using on the newer system and then it should be okay.  You might also need to uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools in the copy of the VM however I'd only do that if the functionally VMware Tools provides is not working properly under 3.1.x.

inaloop
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer.  Realized I need to create a 64bit application (using Netbeans) for the job, so have decided to install a 64bit linux distro on a flash drive, then boot using fusion.  Hopefully the install will go smoothly. 

0 Kudos