VMware Communities
my407sw
Contributor
Contributor

How to install OS X Lepoard Server on Fusion ?

Through the setup wizard , I create a new VM about Lepoard Server( the disk was from Mac mini server , 10.6.3 ). When I start, the system always

tell me  the guest operation system stop "CPU" ? why

My machine is MacBook Pro 2000 , i7, and I only set 1 cpu in VM config

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

( the disk was from Mac mini server , 10.6.3 )

That disc is tied to the Mac mini and you need a retail copy to install from.

Edited original post after having read Apple's SLA for the product in question so as not to violate the VMware Communities Terms of Use.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
my407sw
Contributor
Contributor

So, can you give me a little hint about this topic ? I can't find any result on this fourm ,thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry, No.  See my edited original reply.

0 Kudos
ellisonj
Contributor
Contributor

I have a brand new retail copy of SLS 10.6.3, and if I put this on my MBPro it will start up. After I move the VM to the MPro 2010 running a 64bit kernel I get this same error.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You have to have OSX server on the host, not just the client (if I remember correctly).

You can't run versions of OSX older than those that came originally packaged with your machine.  For the new mid-2011 MBP's, there's a special build of 10.6.7 client (and no server), so you'll have to wait for Server 10.6.8 for example.

I'm skeptical that 10.6.3 would install and run on a mid-2010 MBP, but I may be wrong.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You have to have OSX server on the host, not just the client (if I remember correctly).

I have OS X Server 10.6 running in a Virtual Machine in VMware Fusion 3.1.2 running under OS X Client so the Host does not have to be OS X Server too.

0 Kudos
ellisonj
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed my MBPro was a client only. Runs fine. Just won't start on the MPro 2010 I got it for. Both run a 64bit kernel as well.

0 Kudos
ellisonj
Contributor
Contributor

I suspect this is an issue with the emulation mode, when the system starts into long mode. For some reason on the MPro 2010 it doesn't like the CPUs. When I change the emulation to "binary" it tells me after long mode is called, the emulation will be changed. Time for some testing on MPro hardware Vmware as it is the "new" server hardware supported by Apple.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Thanks Woody - wasn't sure.

Looks like the OP is getting caught by the CPU check then.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

For some reason on the MPro 2010 it doesn't like the CPUs.

I'm not sure about the Mac Pro 2010, but this is almost certainly not a VMware issue, but rather how Apple does CPU checks. For example, there's a known issue in an older 10.6 build (I'm blanking on the specific version, but it was somewhere areound 10.6.3) where it will only run on certain types of CPUs (i.e. Macs that existed at the time). Attempting to run it on newer hardware (e.g. i3/5/7) causes it to refuse to run, as the CPU is not whitelisted. You are probably seeing something similar. The easiest thing to do is wait until Apple comes out with a OS X update that will run on the Mac Pro, update the virtual machine to that build (on the MacBook Pro), and then move it over.

When I change the emulation to "binary" it tells me after long mode is called, the emulation will be changed.

This is not related to OS X guests, but is a reflection of the fact that we need VT-x (and not binary translation) to virtualize 64-bit guests.

0 Kudos