VMware Communities
KJCinAZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Help plz... Replaced MBP hard drive, restored from TM, but Windows XP vm won't start

I replaced the 250 GB hard drive in my early 2009 MacBook Pro with a 500 GB drive, formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and restored from my Time Machine backup.

Now when I try to start my Windows XP vm (using Fusion 2.0.6...planning to upgrade to 3.1.2, but wanted to validate all was well first), I get BSODs, even in safe mode.

I do have data files from my vm backed up separately on a network drive as based on things I'd read previously, I didn't think TM backs up virtual machines. However, a friend with a similar setup with more VMWare knowledge than me thought that because I could see my Windows XP vm listed under "Documents" in Time Machine showing its full size, it was in fact backed up and it should restore. Apparently he has done that successfully before.

Should I have partitioned the hard drive?? I didn't think my prior drive was partitioned. Not sure what to do now.

TIA!

Katie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be clear: did you restore the virtual machines from the network drive or from Time Machine?  And if the network drive, what backup method did you use?  (i.e.: did you just copy the powered off virtual machine package or not?)  Can you copy/restore the virtual machine from the network drive again?  Is it just one virtual machine that has the error, or do other virtual machines have problems?

Time Machine will correctly backup a powered off virtual machine. But since Time Machine runs automatically, you often will not get a consistent backup unless you do some tricks to ensure that Time Machine only backs up when you're not running a virtual machine.  (i.e.: turn Time Machine on only after you finish with the virtual machine.)  Thus it is normally recommended to exclude the virtual machines from Time Machine and use some other method to backup the virtual machines.  Your friend is either lucky or is only backing up powered off virtual machines.

Should I have partitioned the hard drive?? I didn't think my prior drive was partitioned. Not sure what to do now.

Paritioning of the Mac's drive is not necessary unless you're using Boot Camp or have another need for the partition.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To be clear: did you restore the virtual machines from the network drive or from Time Machine?  And if the network drive, what backup method did you use?  (i.e.: did you just copy the powered off virtual machine package or not?)  Can you copy/restore the virtual machine from the network drive again?  Is it just one virtual machine that has the error, or do other virtual machines have problems?

Time Machine will correctly backup a powered off virtual machine. But since Time Machine runs automatically, you often will not get a consistent backup unless you do some tricks to ensure that Time Machine only backs up when you're not running a virtual machine.  (i.e.: turn Time Machine on only after you finish with the virtual machine.)  Thus it is normally recommended to exclude the virtual machines from Time Machine and use some other method to backup the virtual machines.  Your friend is either lucky or is only backing up powered off virtual machines.

Paritioning of the Mac's drive is not necessary unless you're using Boot Camp or have another need for the partition.

0 Kudos
KJCinAZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@asatoran -

Thanks for the reply!

I was letting Time Machine restore everything. (I just have select data files from my vm backed up separately on a different network drive from the Time Machine drive, such as financial records, my Outlook.pst file, etc.) I only have the one Windows XP virtual machine.

I did power my vm down completely last night, thought that Time Machine had run automatically after that (i.e. looked at the time/date info on its timeline), then powered down my MBP before swapping the drive.

Really, really wish now that I had backed up the whole vm to the network drive. UGH.

Before I give up and start building a new vm (will have to painfully reinstall lots of Windows software....and I'm concerned I'll run into licensing/activation issues), do you recommend any of the following:

- Upgrade to VMWare 3.1.2 to see if that makes a difference? (realize I'm reaching with that one 🙂

- Randomly pick a different TM restore point to restore from (no way to tell which others were/weren't done at a point my VM was powered off)?

- Rollback to an earlier VM snapshot? (I could not take one prior to the hard drive swap because I didn't have enough free space...but I have one from about 1 week ago.)

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I did power my vm down completely last night, thought that Time Machine had run automatically after that (i.e. looked at the time/date info on its timeline), then powered down my MBP before swapping the drive.

- Randomly pick a different TM restore point to restore from (no way to tell which others were/weren't done at a point my VM was powered off)?

This is where the inconsistency thing comes in.  Time Machine does incremental backups hourly, not full backups, so I would guess that your best chance would be to find the oldest backup, which would hopefully be a "full" backup of the virtual machine.  But if that first backup was with the virtual machine running, then it probably won't be a good backup either.

- Upgrade to VMWare 3.1.2 to see if that makes a difference? (realize I'm reaching with that one 🙂

Almost certainly won't make a difference.  You could try since it's available as a 30 day trial (if you haven't already purchased it.)   Anything's possible, but I wouldn't place any bets.

- Rollback to an earlier VM snapshot? (I could not take one prior to the hard drive swap because I didn't have enough free space...but I have one from about 1 week ago.)

Snapshots are not backups.  Since you have nothing to lose, you can try.  But make a copy the virtual machine as is first so that you can try again if necessary.

Before I give up and start building a new vm (will have to painfully reinstall lots of Windows software....and I'm concerned I'll run into licensing/activation issues), do you recommend any of the following:

If you have a typical "retail" version of Windows, don't worry about reactivating.  If it doesn't activate over the internet as normal, then just call the toll-free number and punch in codes on a touch tone phone (or speak with the operator.)  If they ask, just tell them the truth, that you're reinstalling Windows after a replacing the hard drive.  I've never been refused a reactivation, but I'm also not calling to reactivate the same product key 20 times in a month.  Smiley Wink

I'm going to say that if you can't start in Safe Mode, it's probably going to be easier to just reinstall Windows.  Mount the virtual hard disk to copy off your data files, if necessary, but just create a new virtual machine and install Windows clean.  Tedeious, yes, but relatively straightforward, and just mark it off as a lesson learned the hard way.  Smiley Sad  Your install of Windows was probably having issues already so this BSOD likely would have happened regardles of the hard drive replacement or Time Machine procedures.

(As an aside, what I did when I upgraded my MBP's 200GB drive with a 500GB, several months ago, I installed OSX clean on th 500GB drive, installed the 200GB drive in an external enclosure and copied the virtual machines and my documents manually to the new hard drive.  I did not go through Time Machine.  This also allowed me to clean out the junk from my Applications and Documents folders.  So I don't normally see reinstalling as "painful" (although it is), I take it as an opportunity to clean up.  After all, the reason we upgraded from 200GB to 500GB is because we were running out of space, eh? :smileysilly: )

KJCinAZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So glad you mentioned that "aside"...because somehow in all of this I was missing the obvious. Just put my old hard drive in an enclosure and opened the vm directly from it. No BSOD! Smiley Happy. Now going to copy it to new hard drive. You are right, though, re: this vm has been getting sluggish/showing signs of instability, plus getting ridiculously large (200 GB), so cleanup-rebuild is a good idea. At least now I can do it when I've set time aside for it instead of at a time when I have two clients waiting for work from me.

Thanks for all of the help!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Might also be a good time to exclude the VM from Time Machine (your backup disk won't fill up as fast either), and implement a manual backup process instead.

0 Kudos