VMware Communities
rgomezc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gotta be kidding. Keyboard mappings still not fixed completely in 7.1!!!!

Unless I am missing something (please let that be the reason!), with a Spanish ISO keyboard I still can't get the correct key: \ when pressing Alt + º. I have to Press Alt + <. I can't believe it, just can't. Maybe for Version 9. Or 10.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rgomezc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Worse: I tried adding a mapping for Alt+º -> Alt + < , following the other mappings to fix the < >, but no luck, I can't get the \ character when pressing what I do in Mac, have to press the < > key on my keyboard.

Anyone has any luck for this? I really really can't believe this needs more than two updates to get fixed. Does NOT anybody in VMWare has a Spanish or other language different than English keyboard to work with? Or they use Parallels internally?

0 Kudos
ggustafsson
Contributor
Contributor

This is such BS Smiley Happy I wrote a post about this after 7.0.1 and i got zero responses (more than 4 weeks ago). I do however use a Swedish keyboard. The first update fixed half of the problems but not everything.

I got to use Alt Gr + § to get a pipe sign instead of Alt Gr + < which is the normal way to type it.

If anyone at VMware is looking then don't bother asking if "Language Specific Key Mappings" is turned on. This is a still persistent bug that have not been fixed.

0 Kudos
qiangwan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a workaround for this issue. The root cause of this isue is Mac keyboard and Windows/PC keyboard are fundamentally different.

Steps:

1. Exit Fusion if running

2. From Mac Application, right-click VMware Fusion, and show package contents

3. Go to "Contents > Library > languageSpecificMacToWinKeymap"

4. Backup & Copy "isoLayoutMappings.csv" to another location, like "Documents"

5. Edit "isoLayoutMappings.csv" and add two lines as following,

>,Alt,0x0064,Alt-Gr,0x0035

^,Alt,0x0035,Alt-Gr,0x0064

6. Repace the original with the new "isoLayoutMappings.csv".

7. Make sure in Fusioni preference,  "Enable language specific key mapping" is checked for your VM's keyboard and mouse profile.

8. Make sure your Mac and guest Windows OS are both using Spanish or Swedish input method

9. Type following to Winddows VM again.

9.1 Spanish,

Host OS - Mac,                                         Guest OS - Windows

type   Alt + °(Alt + upper left key),                \              

type   Alt + < (Alt + right of the left Shift),        Null        

9.2 Swedish,

Host OS - Mac,                                         Guest OS - Windows

type   Alt +§ (Alt + upper left key),                null

type   Alt + < (Alt + right of the left Shift),          |        

Shortcoming: this workaround will impact all ISO keyboards (many European keyboards), while not all of these keys (upper left key and right of the left Shift) have Alt as modifer.

0 Kudos
FoxtrotIndia
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This works reasonably well, but you need to be aware that this maps left Alt + (° / <) to right Alt + key as well, and it does not map Alt + Shift, Alt + Ctrl, ....

Since the other keys work as expected, why do you not add an option to simply swap these two keys when passing them on to Windows? Then every single key would work as expected, if you desire a physical mapping of the keyboard. This worked fine with the previous versions of Fusion, and I believe it should remain an option for those who have come from Windows to the Mac, and have adapted their Mac keyboard to follow Windows conventions.

0 Kudos