VMware Communities
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion non-Pro trial

Hi,

I would like to try VMware Fusion 8 as a trial, but without the Pro features. I've downloaded the regular/non-Pro trial, but it tells me it is the Pro version when I run it.

How can I experience the non-Pro version of Fusion for a trial? I'd like to do so because it is much easier to get a feeling for it this way instead of just reading the non-Pro vs Pro comparison chart.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The download for the normal version and the Pro version are actually one and the same file.

Not sure why VMware offers two links, perhaps for analytics purposes or otherwise for marketing reasons.

Either way, it doesn't make much sense to me.

The actual selection on what you install is during the setup. You choose there if you want Pro version or Normal.

Seems you selected "Pro" by accident (can't remember, but I guess it is the default choice).

The main differences are:

- Network editor (Menu "VMware Fusion" -> Preferences -> Network tab)

- Connect to vSphere server.

If you don't need those options then I don't see why you would want the Pro version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The download for the normal version and the Pro version are actually one and the same file.

Not sure why VMware offers two links, perhaps for analytics purposes or otherwise for marketing reasons.

Either way, it doesn't make much sense to me.

The actual selection on what you install is during the setup. You choose there if you want Pro version or Normal.

Seems you selected "Pro" by accident (can't remember, but I guess it is the default choice).

The main differences are:

- Network editor (Menu "VMware Fusion" -> Preferences -> Network tab)

- Connect to vSphere server.

If you don't need those options then I don't see why you would want the Pro version.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Big thanks for such a quick reply Smiley Happy

Hm, I don't remember seeing a choice during the install, but I had already installed the Pro version so perhaps the installer found that and didn't display the option.

I'll try to uninstall it entirely and then reinstall the basic version. I'll update the progress here. Cheers!

0 Kudos
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it. I didn't get the option to select non-Pro when I reinstalled because it had some old installation data lying around.

I removed all the folders mentioned in VMware KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion and when I then reinstalled Fusion I got the question about non-Pro vs Pro.

Thanks!

0 Kudos