VMware Communities
Rasman
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion conversion fails at 95%

Fusion installed from cd on the new imac converter installed on the target pc from the fusion cd

converter starts provides code. Code inout on the host (imac) flip through the screens imput the creds. conversion begins and runs to 95% then hangs

any suggestions?

tia.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Use the free Paragon Go Virtual to create the Virtual Machine before I'd use the Migrate Your PC... command (Migration Assistant) in VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You could also use Converter Standalone, if you prefer to stick with VMware products.
Converter is different in that it's not trying to do this across the network, but rather saves the output as a file on the Windows computer which needs to be transferred to the Mac manually.
You can download version 3.0.3 for free here:
Note that the other Migration Assistant must be uninstalled to avoid a conflict.
For instructions on how to use Converter to prepare your Windows PC to run in Fusion, we have a quick video available here:

3.0.3 is fine for XP.

If you're using Windows 7, you'll need to use the latest version of Converter:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/converter430/dGhiZEB0ZWJkd2V3

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You could also use Converter Standalone, if you prefer to stick with VMware products.
Converter is different in that it's not trying to do this across the network,

VMware vCenter Converter Standalone can also save the Virtual Machine to a Network Location, as does Paragon Go Virtual, avoiding the need to copy it.  However the primary reason I suggest Paragon Go Virtual over VMware vCenter Converter Standalone is twofold, one IMO it is an easier product to use for the non-technically oriented user and two is that when VMware Fusion Migration Agent fails near the end of the process Paragon Go Virtual usually will succeed and VMware vCenter Converter Standalone and the VMware Fusion Migration Agent are basically the same program just packaged and run differently.  Also Paragon Go Virtual usually takes less time to do the same thing that the corresponding VMware product does.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't use or never use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone,  I'm just saying I'd use Paragon Go Virtual before I'd use the Migrate Your PC... command and in a cases such as a failure of the VMware product I'd try Paragon Go Virtual before using the other VMware product that basically is the same thing just packaged differently with more features.

0 Kudos