VMware Communities
Ngarara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion Migration Agent fails - Unknown apiVersion

I'm trying to migrate a Win7x64 PC to Fusion 7.1.0 on my Mac (Yosemite 10.10.1) using Fusion PC Migration Agent 5.1.1.  After struggling with user account access, I had to create an new admin user with a simple password in order to get authentication working.  Then I had to deal with firewall issues.  However, having overcome this, the process begins, I get the progress bar panel, then it fails with the error:

Unable to create virtual machine 'Windows 7 x64'

Which is not a particularly useful error message.  Looking at the Fusion logs, I can see the following:

GetTargetProductVersion: Unknown apiVersion

On the PC, the Migration Agent log shows:

Converter::TargetVmManagerImpl::CreateVM

TargetVmManagerImpl::CreateVM: Vm creation failed with error Invalid argument : productversion

The implication is that there is some sort of version mismatch somewhere, possibly between Fusion 7.1.0 and Agent 5.1.1.  But that may be misleading.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ngarara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And, to answer my own question:  Yes, it's a version mismatch.

I realised I had an earlier version of Fusion (6.0.4) on my spare laptop, so I tried to initiate the migration using that - and it worked.  Well, strictly speaking, it’s working, because it’s at 4% now, but it's proceeding at a decent speed.

So, bravo, VMware - when you brought out 7.1.0, you forgot to update the compatibility matrix in the PC Migration Agent.  And why not give a more sensible error message in that situation, something like “This version of Fusion is not compatible with the version of PC Migration Agent”?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ngarara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And, to answer my own question:  Yes, it's a version mismatch.

I realised I had an earlier version of Fusion (6.0.4) on my spare laptop, so I tried to initiate the migration using that - and it worked.  Well, strictly speaking, it’s working, because it’s at 4% now, but it's proceeding at a decent speed.

So, bravo, VMware - when you brought out 7.1.0, you forgot to update the compatibility matrix in the PC Migration Agent.  And why not give a more sensible error message in that situation, something like “This version of Fusion is not compatible with the version of PC Migration Agent”?

0 Kudos
Ngarara
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By the way, it would be nice if a VMware person could confirm if this is a known problem, and also let us know when it's resolved...

0 Kudos