VMware Communities
Ricky85it
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8 with Win7 on MBP, running slow

Hi all!

I have installed Win7 x64 Ultimate Edition on my MacBook Pro mid 2012 with Fusion 8.

I left all the Fusion8 settings as default but the Win7 on the VM is running very slow.

Default settings for VM are:

2gb RAM

1 core processor

My MBP is a mid 2012 with this spec:

Intel i7 2.3Ghz

8gb DDR3 1600Mhz

Intel HD Graphics 4000

NVIDIA GeFORCE 650M 500mb GDDR5

120GB SSD + 500GB HDD

you have any advice for me for the virtual machine settings? i have to use Win7 for Visual Studio and a 10 years old game (therefore it does not need high resources)

Very thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cpapa
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have an answer really, but if you only give it 2 GB memory, perhaps that is simply too little? If it is, the Windows in the VM will start using the disk more, and you will notice a slow-down because of this. Especially if the VM disk isn't on a fast medium. Check your resource usage.

0 Kudos
elliotthakzar
Contributor
Contributor

My Windows 7 VMs have had some performance issues with newer versions of Fusion (7 & 8).

The solution that works pretty well for me is to change the "hardware version" for the VM back down to the hardware version of Fusion 6, which is Hardware Version 10. You can change this in the VM Settings under Compatibility -> Advanced options.

This alleviated a very aggravating UI lag I was experiencing in some applications like Visual Studio - especially when typing.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

How much RAM is free on the host?

For a machine that vintage, those drives may be starting to fail - have you checked with something like Smart Utility from Voltain's software?

0 Kudos