VMware Communities
MattDMo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 7.1.0, trying to make new VM: Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 304.0, got 279.0.

Was running Fusion 6 on 10.8.5 using a variety of VMs, mainly Linux. Everything was working well, until I (foolishly) decided to upgrade to 7. I downloaded the installer, plugged in my new serial number, and (again foolishly) decided to upgrade the hardware version of my old Ubuntu VM before running it. Who knows what went wrong, but I got the dreaded "Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to" error. Tried a bunch of stuff, nothing worked.

Decided to make a new Ubuntu 14.10 VM, since my old one was having some issues anyway. Downloaded the install ISO, went through the new VM setup process, customizing things as I've done dozens of times before. Tried to start the new VM, got the following message:

Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 304.0, got 279.0.

You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module.

Try reinstalling VMware Fusion.

I tried just removing VMware Fusion.app, no dice. So, I went through this fine article VMware KB: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion and deleted every piece of VMware I could find. Reinstalled from the .dmg, set up the new VM again, and still the same error.

I've gone through all these steps, from downloading Fusion 7 to having all these issues, all this evening, so there is no updated version to download. I've searched in vain for similar issues, if I somehow missed it please point me to a workaround. Otherwise, I need help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MattDMo, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The first (and usually easiest) step to try is restarting your Mac.  The error message you are seeing suggests that Fusion 6 did not quite shut down cleanly when you last ran it, which will interfere with the new version of Fusion until you restart.

Let us know if that fixes the problem!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi MattDMo, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The first (and usually easiest) step to try is restarting your Mac.  The error message you are seeing suggests that Fusion 6 did not quite shut down cleanly when you last ran it, which will interfere with the new version of Fusion until you restart.

Let us know if that fixes the problem!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
MattDMo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

That seemed to do the trick! Not sure why I didn't think of that myself...

The only problem now is that I seem to have lost network connectivity for my VM, but I think that's an entirely separate issue. Thanks so much for your help!

Matt

0 Kudos