VMware Communities
Thimee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 6 - How can I disable the Guest OS tag in full screen?

Looks like a new feature of version 6.0 (5.0.3 didn't exhibit this behavior) is to display the guest OS name in a semi-transparent header for a few seconds when swiping over to the full screen view.

This is pretty annoying, I don't need to see "Windows 2008 R2 SQL Instance" every single time I swipe over...

Is there any way to disable this new feature perhaps?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To disable it, edit your ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file and add:

fusion.ui.fullscreen.nameBadge = "FALSE"

If you have any feedback on how it could be made less distracting and/or more helpful without removing it altogether, please let us know!  We implemented this feature in response to a number of feature requests for ready ways to identify full-screen VMs (including ones that are powered off), so it'd be ideal if we could find a middle ground that would keep everyone happy.  Feedback is heartily invited!  :smileygrin:

Cheers,

--

Darius

Message was edited by: Darius Davis: Corrected the preferences file path.  Thanks, WoodyZ!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I certainly hope someone from VMware posts a global setting that can be made in the preferences file as I agree this is quite distracting and annoying!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To disable it, edit your ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/preferences file and add:

fusion.ui.fullscreen.nameBadge = "FALSE"

If you have any feedback on how it could be made less distracting and/or more helpful without removing it altogether, please let us know!  We implemented this feature in response to a number of feature requests for ready ways to identify full-screen VMs (including ones that are powered off), so it'd be ideal if we could find a middle ground that would keep everyone happy.  Feedback is heartily invited!  :smileygrin:

Cheers,

--

Darius

Message was edited by: Darius Davis: Corrected the preferences file path.  Thanks, WoodyZ!

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Darius, thanks for the setting! Smiley Happy 

As far as the feature itself goes, I think it's a good feature for the Users that want it.  However I just don't need or want that feature personally and it would be nice if this was in the Settings UI as a check box vs. having to manually edit the preferences file.

0 Kudos
Thimee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the setting, updating my preference file did the trick!

I could see the reasoning behind why this was added, as some Fusion users have lots of virtual machines that they switch between - and it  gets a bit confusing to remember what machine is currently showing when in full screen mode. For example, I have 3 VM's, if I start and then shut them down I end up seeing 3 black screens with the "play" button on them, but no other indication as to what they are.

Might I suggest a user preference toggle that looks something like this?

Guest name display when swiping over using full screen mode:

[ ] Always show Guest name

[x] Only show Guest name when VM is suspended

[ ] Never show Guest name

My preference would be the middle one, the guest name is handy when I start up my mac in the morning, but once the VM is up and running the guest name actually gets in the way when I swipe back and forth between my mac desktop and my windows based dev environment.

2c

0 Kudos
changhai
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thimee,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

we are evaluating your suggestion and response you back soon.

Best Regards,

changhai

0 Kudos
frogworth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh thank goodness! This was driving me crazy Smiley Happy

It took me a while to work out how to search for it too, but all good now that you've posted the preference. Thanks!

0 Kudos
NomisK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm late to this, I know.

I've turned off the display of the name badge, but what I'd really like is the ability to choose the amount of time that the badge is displayed for. I'd choose a very small value, just enough to confirm things but not long enough for me to be waiting to see what's underneath.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Better late then never and that's a good suggestion! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dny473
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

from my point of view this badge feature is causing more harm than good:

1. if you swipe back and forth between VMs, it will sometime causes "beachballs", I havent experience this using Fusion 4 which does not have badge feature, and when I turned it off, beachballs gone !

2. if you swipe to a vm frequently sometimes the badge cause beachballs, then before the badge displayed you switch again to another vm, that when a few seconds later an annoying thing happens: screen swiped again back automaticly to previous vm, just to display the very late BADGE ! this is causing stressfull experience for multi-vm users

3. since i upgraded to fusion 6, I have experienced a lot of problem with minibars, doesnt show up responsively and sometime failed to show altogether when I move pointer to edge of screen, which never happen in fusion 4. And then I came accross to this article and disabled it, and yay ! the minibar working smooth and perfect again !

I think vmware must remove this feature in next release, I'm a heavy vm user and have no need for this at all

I can always recognise my vm from the desktop view

thanks for this tip !!

0 Kudos