VMware Communities
skirsten
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.3 - Mouse Pointer freeze

Hi,

I have a problem with Fusion 6.0.3 on Mac OS 10.9.2 and also on 10.9.3.

After a while, the Mouse is freezing when I move the point over VMWare Fusion control icons,

menu bars or the library of virtual machines. Also as second phenomena I can't copy text

via CTRL-C + CMD-V between the Windows running in the Fusion Box and Mac OS.

The only action thats help at the moment is to stop the VMWare Fusion program

(CMD-Q) and to start again. Then the mouse pointer does not freeze and the

text exchange works as expected.

Does anyone have the same problem ? It seems like a bug.

greetings

Sven

0 Kudos
8 Replies
digitaldybbuk
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure that pointer is the one being generated inside the VM or your system? Did you try using CTRL + ALT to switch control to the VM?

I know at times my system will seem confused and not register my many emphatic clicks caused by frustration, until I realize that the mouse pointer I am clicking with is my system's mouse pointer and not the mouse pointer of the VM itself.

-MC
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

digitaldybbuk wrote: Did you try using CTRL + ALT to switch control to the VM?

"CTRL + ALT" is not a recognized Hot Key Sequence under VMware Fusion, it is for VMware Workstation which is for a Windows or Linux Host not OS X.  "CTRL + ALT" under VMware Workstation is the default Hot Key Sequence to release control from the current Virtual Machine and on a Mac with VMware Fusion it's Command-Control.  If a Virtual Machine has focus then Control-G will enable it to grab the input if the mouse is outside of the Virtual Machine's Display.

0 Kudos
skirsten
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 6.0.3 - Mouse Pointer freeze

thanks for your answers.

The Mouse Pointer does not freeze inside the VM, it does freeze on the Mac OS VMWare Menu bars.

Locations where the Mouse Pointer does freeze :

1) When my VM is up and running in Full Screen Mode, I go to the top of the screen with 2 fingers, the VMWare Menu bar comes down.

When the mouse pointer moves over this menu bar, it stuck.

2) When I open the VMWare program "library of virtual machines" under Mac OS, and I move the mouse pointer over this program window

the mouse also stuck.

greetings

Sven

0 Kudos
marcmelvin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue as Sven, and additionally can't drag/drop or copy/paste. The only way to fix the freezing of the mouse on the actual chrome parts of the VMWare windows (not even inside the VM itself!) it is to disable the drag/drop and copy/paste functionality under Isolation in the VMWare settings. Uninstalling/reinstalling VMWare tools makes no difference, regardless of what everyone keeps saying.

With that said, I'm not able to copy/paste or drag/drop into my VM any more, with the settings on or off. Doesn't matter. I hesitated on upgrading VMWare Fusion to 6 because this same kind of thing happened last time, so I believe this will be the last time I pay to upgrade VMWare. The only advice anyone at the company provides is "did you try uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare tools?" as if you're a moron that hasn't been through this every single time you've upgraded their crappy software.

Update: I was finally able to resolve both issues by selecting the VM, going into Settings, choosing Compatibility, expanding Advanced if it isn't already, selecting version 9 from the dropdown, and disabling the checkbox to upgrade. After that, I was able to set the drag/drop and copy/paste settings back to checked under Isolation, and everything seems fine.

0 Kudos
1275rob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I also have the same issues. I have tried changing the settings you recommended but I still get the same mouse freeze as soon as the mouse pointer goes in to the top menu bar.ctrl+cmd has not effect but I can get out of the freeze if I use cmd tab and select another running mac program but as soon as I go back in to windows and move th pointer on to the top menu bar it will freeze. ctrl z will unfreeze the mouse when in vm but only cmd tab will allow me to goto another program.

Just for the record I have also reinstalled Fusion 6.0.3

I hope someone can come up with a solution soon.

Regards,

Bob.

0 Kudos
1275rob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again just to add I have just changed the mouse settings to Mac Profile for my Windows XP vm and for my vm Windows 7 tried Mac Profile and also Windows 8 Profile and this …so far seems to be working. Only time will tell.

Cheers,

Bob.

0 Kudos
hheeb
Contributor
Contributor

The same issue happens for very old VmWare versions (I'm on 4.1.3). It therefore seems that Apple messed something up, I have been using this version of VmWare for years without any problems (Mac OS is 10.9.4).

HH

0 Kudos
kintaro86
Contributor
Contributor

I had those problems in OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) as well.

0 Kudos