VMware Communities
panca
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5.01 & Ubuntu (various versions) & Audio & jackd & duplex doesn't work

Dear all,

I didn't find anything on my issue, so here it goes: I do some cross-plattform development and therefore need to run an audio-application in Ubuntu that requires jackd. I installed jack2 1.98 and tried it with 4 Ubuntu-versions: 12.04-32, 12.04-64, 12.10-32 and 12.10-64 (most current kernels, and yes, I did reinstall alsa and vmtools after the kernel-update). In each case the result was the same: I can use jackd just fine in "halph"-duplex mode, i.e. for audo-in only or audio-out, but if I use the (required) duplex-mode (to process incoming audio and send it out again) audio starts stuttering very strongly. I can reduce the effect somewhat by increasing latency but even at an latency as high (and intolerable) as 200 ms I get a very lout click about every halph second.

I enquired a bit on the alsa-audio-driver: snd_ens1371 (soundblaster) - and while one occasionally reads about issues, all in all this seems a very mature driver - hard to imagine, the problem lies there.

Any ideas? Is this a known/issue-bug. Is there hope for a fix? Is there a workaround, or can I reconfigure somehow to get it going?

Thanks in advance for any help

Best

Rainer

0 Kudos
1 Reply
panca
Contributor
Contributor

I tried 5.02, reinstalled the tools, recompiled the modules. There is actually a change, but no solution: now there is no sound at all in duplex, while it works as before (i.e. nicely) in playback only mode.

I did also compare to Parallels and found that it is somewhat better there, but not good either (I probably shouldn't say that :)).

No luck - anything I can do?

Best

Rainer

0 Kudos