VMware Communities
Win2Mac
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2 doesn't see the wireless NIC on the iMAC host machine

Hello,

I am running Windows Vista from BootCamp partition using Fusion, and I have installed VMware Tools. But the VM doesn't see the Broadcom 802.11n wireless network adaptor at all. and each time the VM starts Vista guest, it tries to install the Ethernet driver. In another word, the VM sees the wired NIC, but doesn't have the driver for it; and it doesn't see the wireless NIC at all. There is no problem when the computer boots up to Vista BootCamp native mode.

I have already applied the current version of the BootCamp 2.1 for Vista. The hardware is the current gen of iMAC 24 with 4GB RAM.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have a look at: VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Virtual Machine Basics > Virtual Hardware Specifications

You will note that a VMware Fusion Virtual Machine does not have a WiFi Ethernet Adapter and as such the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter will be bridged to and or use the Host's Active Network Adapter whichever it may be.

If you want WiFi in a Guest then you need to provide an external USB WiFi Network Adapter of your own.

If you want to bind a Virtual Network to a specific Host Adapter then have a look at:

If Virtual Machine running Vista is not recognizing and installing the correct Network Adapter have a look in the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file and make sure that the Network Adapter is showing as "e1000" as in the following example.

ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"

For help with the location of the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file have a look at or .

0 Kudos
Win2Mac
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much your help.

I checked the .vmx file on my iMac computer, and within this file, there is no line that contains: ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000". (There are 8 lines that contain ethernet0 at different locations within the .vmx file).

If I were to add "ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"" to the file, where should I insert it?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It does not matter as long as it's on a line by itself.

0 Kudos