VMware Communities
dash7
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0.2 - VMware Tools update error

Just updated to 2.0.2 from 2.0.1.

On my XPsp3 Machine the VMware Tools taskbar Icon says that the Tools can be updated. When trying to do so from within the VM nothing happens at all.

When trying to install the Tools from OS X (VMware Menu -> Install Tools) the Windows Installer starts and crashes while installing ("internal error 2229").

This needs to be fixed soon!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
rzacherl
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

same for me. Just updated to Fusion 2.0.2 (from version 2.0.1) and had exactly the same symptoms and 2229 error code.

I solved it by a complete deinstall of VMWare Tools and a fresh install.

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
Halenbeck
Contributor
Contributor

Yep,

just want to jump on it. Same here. As I am located in Germany the message is "Interner Fehler 2229." followed by whole bunch of stuff. Looks like some SQL SELECT statement ...

UPDATE: completly uninstall and reinstall worked fine.

0 Kudos
WmWareFusion
Contributor
Contributor

Hy,

same for me. Just updated to Fusion 2.0.2 (from version 2.0.1) and had exactly the same symptoms and 2229 error code.

But i can't be able to uninstall wmware tools. Trying to uninstall it, a little alert with error 2229 appear...so i can't unistall/reinstall

Winx Pro Sp2 localization Italy

Whot can i do?

Regards

Eddie

0 Kudos
sniham
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem, uninstalled VTools from my Vista32 VPC. When I try to install the VMWare Tools again, nothing happens at all.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

sniham

0 Kudos
lebrett
Contributor
Contributor

Same here with XP Pro SP3. Tried both ways to update (through the task bar icon and the Install VMWare tools menu) and failed to complete.

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I asked in an earlier discussion I started if we can get instructions to manually uninstall and cleanout Tools files, registry entries, etc. I'm optomistic that there's just something not right that's been plaguing some of us for some time. A clean sweep followed by a reboot and re-install of Tools will hopefully eliminate the problems.

0 Kudos
sniham
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was actually able to fix it. Try uninstall. Then go to the virtual CD drive. Yuu should see the VMWare Tools there. From there I just started setup.exe and everything worked fine.

Good luck!

KInd Regards

Snham

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can anyone seeing this get Tools installation logs as in ?

0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

etung - Let me know how to get the files to you. I have a bunch and would need to scrub them to post publicly.

Also...

I went looking for instructions on how to manually remove and found this. What struck me were not the instructions but the comment about installing as Administrator (not a member of the Administrators group). I only have this problem on Windows XP Pro as my other vms are test Windows servers, so I don't create users but I also only have one application that I work with. Based on this interesting and head-slapping information, this is what I did:

1. Disabled automatic account login

2. Logged out

3. Logged in as Administrator

4. Uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs. Dismissed errors about having a partial installation as another user. Eventually, the uninstaller ran to completion. That's further than it's gotten in a long time.

5. Rebooted.

6. Logged in as Administrator

7. Dismissed Found New Hardware Wizard

8. Installed Tools

9. Rebooted

10. Logged in as Administrator (login was faster and Tools icon appeared sooner)

11. Uninstalled Tools

12. Rebooted

13. Logged in as Administrator

14. Installed Tools

15. Rebooted

16. Logged in as Administrator

17. Dismissed Found New Hardware Wizard

18. OS prompted about requiring reboot

19. Rebooted

20. Logged in as Administrator

21. Dismissed Found New Hardware Wizard

21. Ran Update Tools (Tools not installed but Fusion still seemed a bit confused

22. Rebooted

23. Logged in as Administrator.

24. Things look good. Rebooted again

25. Logged in as user my user account

In the future I'll be sure to only update tools as Administrator in this vm, which is my production vm for MS Office 2007 and all my other apps.

0 Kudos
ffurger
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem. I get the exact same error message both on Windows XP and Vista. I uninstalled VMware and reinstalled it – same error message. So I guss this is actually a bug.

-Franco

0 Kudos
visual077
Contributor
Contributor

My Mac is on 10.4.6 and I virtualize Vista 32 bits ultimate. Reinstall make the same error.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Everyone,

First I would like to apologize for the trouble that you have been experiencing with the tools upgrade, we are aware of the issue and are looking into it. This issue seems to only reproduce on none English language versions of Windows. If you run into this issue please try the following steps to upgrade your tools.

1. Take a snapshot of your virtual machine or create a backup

2. Power on your Windows virtual machine

3. Log into the vm with an administrator level account.

4. Navigate to start->control panel-> add or remove programs

5. Within add remove programs chose to remove VMware tools

6. Upon completion of the tools uninstall you will be prompted to reboot the VM please reboot it.

7. When the vm boots up lo back in with and administrator level account

8. The found new hardware wizard will be open, chose to cancel it, this may happen twice, you will then be prompted to restart your computer tell it no

9. Navigate to the VMware Fusion Virtual Machine Menu and select Install VMware Tools

10. The tools should begin to install, if they do not then from with in the virtual machine navigate to my computer and double click on the VMware tools cdrom

11. This should start the tools installation.

12. At this point follow the prompts to install the tool.

13. Once completed you will be asked to restart your virtual machine again.

14. Once the virtual machine has rebooted you should see that the tools are up to date, you should no longer see the exclamation mark on the tools icon in the windows tray.

0 Kudos
ffurger
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much. Your suggestions did the trick.

Regards,

Franco Furger

0 Kudos
ffurger
Contributor
Contributor

One more thing:

The hint worked on Windows XP Pro and on Vista. Both are German

versions.

Best,

FF

0 Kudos
essepoint
Contributor
Contributor

It works also with XP sp3 Italian. Thanks!

0 Kudos
visual077
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your prompt response and complete. All functions now.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We fixed the Tools update error for non-English language VMs, and just put up a newer official 2.0.2 build 147997. If you are affected by this problem and still haven't applied the workaround outlined in this thread, go download VMware Fusion 2.0.2 again and you should get the newer build. Power off your VM, reinstall Fusion with the newer build, and power up. Tools upgrade should succeed now.

Tools upgrade fix is the only change between build 147997 and older build 146107. If you are not affected by this issue, or you already applied the workaround and your Tools is up to date, there is no need to install the newer build.

Thank you for your patience and enjoy VMware Fusion 2.0.2 !

David Liu

Product Manager

VMware

0 Kudos
ziggy48
Contributor
Contributor

Still having problems with VMTools. I updated using build 147997, guest is XPSP3 English. Tried to unintall tools, reboot, intall tools, reboot - still don't have Tools in the tray, and the UPDATE VMTools is bolded in the virtual machine dropdown.

0 Kudos
davidliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you see any error when you installed Tools? If not, it might be because the Tools is not running for some reason. Can you get Tools installation logs as in ?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos