VMware Communities
rsharma5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 13 pro

Hi all,

I have downloaded a trial version of Vmware Fusion on my M1 MBP. I am trying to create a macOS virtual machine using Monterey & Ventura installer apps/DMGs/ISOs. I am experiencing all sorts of issues with this process. 

I thought that the Fusion 13 version supports Apple Silicons machines, so why am I unable to create the VM. Are there any instructions for this process?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion 13 does not support virtualization of macOS on Apple Silicon. This is documented.

If you want virtualization of Monterey or Ventura on Apple Silicon and don't want to pay Parallels for it, look at UTM or VirtualBuddy. They both give you the same virtualization features as Parallels for macOS on Apple Silicon. and the price (free) is a whole lot better.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion 13 does not support virtualization of macOS on Apple Silicon. This is documented.

If you want virtualization of Monterey or Ventura on Apple Silicon and don't want to pay Parallels for it, look at UTM or VirtualBuddy. They both give you the same virtualization features as Parallels for macOS on Apple Silicon. and the price (free) is a whole lot better.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Just note that those features are rudimentary at best....it's bare bones (no suspend, etc).

0 Kudos
rsharma5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, everyone. I have downloaded the UTM app and will give it a try.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just be aware that if you're creating macOS VMs with software that supports Apple's Virtualization Framework (such as UTM, Parallels or VirtualBuddy), you can't use the "Install macOS xxx.app" applications to install your operating system. You must use IPSW distributions (the same ones used with Apple Configurator to revive a dead Apple Silicon Mac) obtained from Apple. The easiest way to find and download them is with the "IPSW Downloads" site accessible at https://ipsw.me/product/Mac. This third-party site provides simplified access to Apple's servers that host the files.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
rsharma5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I was able to download the IPSW file and create a test VM.

0 Kudos