VMware Communities
jason0x43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 11 on Mojave -- getting "Too many virtual machines"

I installed Fusion 11 on a new 2018 MacBook running Mojave. Many times when I try to start a VM, I get an error about "Too many virtual machines" even though I'm not running any VMware VMs. Sometimes, a VM will start fine (so far failing is the majority case). I've tried manually uninstall and reinstalling Fusion a couple of times. I also thought the issue might be Docker running concurrently, but that doesn't seem to affect the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's something we're investigating.

A reboot sorts it, and in some cases quitting fusion and relaunching it does.

In the case of Docker, you have to quit Docker, then quit and reload Fusion.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's something we're investigating.

A reboot sorts it, and in some cases quitting fusion and relaunching it does.

In the case of Docker, you have to quit Docker, then quit and reload Fusion.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

See also: Fusion 11 on 10.14 Mojave - Cannot power on virtual machine: Too many virtual machines.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

FWIW, I had this happen during the beta (on High Sierra) when I tried to launch 3 VM's all at once.  Just a data point.

0 Kudos
jason0x43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I noticed that some mix of rebooting, restarting Fusion, and restarting Docker seemed to help. The last time I had the issue, I stopped Docker and restarted Fusion and continued to see the issue. I restarted Fusion a couple more times and continued to see the issue. However, when I tried starting a VM again after a few minutes (not having made any other system changes), it worked.

0 Kudos
jason0x43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I looked for similar issues, but somehow missed that one.

0 Kudos
TonyPHX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue.  As the original poster noted, this happens when no machines are currently running.   This needs a fix asap and is not trivial.  This has left me in a bad spot several times.  

0 Kudos
aakhan999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem.  And none of the steps you are suggesting do anything!  I need this working!  Please advise.

0 Kudos
the_mace
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The advice (quit docker and then re-run VMware) was good and worked but doesn't leave me with great confidence in the testing of VMware.

0 Kudos
tekronis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the solution I was given that worked for me:

1. - Quit VMware Fusion
  2. - Open Finder
  3. - Select the option 'Go' on the top Mac menu bar > Select 'Go to folder' > Type '~/Library/Application Support' and press the Return key
  4. - Remove the folders 'VMware Fusion' and 'VMware Fusion Applications Menu'
  5. - Empty trash
  6. - Start VMware Fusion
  7. - Add the Virtual Machine in the Virtual Machine. You may also scan for the Virtual Machines.
  8. - Start the Virtual Machine
dpasirst
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this same issue in terms of too many virtual machines.  I do not have or use docker; however, I do have Android Studio installed which uses qemu.  A reboot does sort the issue temporarily, but after using Android Studio/qemu, it goes back to the error again.  This is very frustrating, please fix this!

0 Kudos
tinyaim
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded from Fusion v10 standard to Pro as part of the upgrade.  I am running on a Mac Pro with Mojave with 64Gb Memory and 12 cores.  v10 worked fine.  I have tried reinstalling, I have tried with Docker stopped but have failed to get anything to work.

Currently, I have a VMware platform that has stopped me dead in my tracks !!

0 Kudos
parvusmagister
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can confirm that the solution given on the suggested thread fixed the issue for me.

My setup:

• MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
  • Running the latest version of Docker CE
  • Running VMware Fusion 11

Fusion 11 on 10.14 Mojave - Cannot power on virtual machine: Too many virtual machines.

0 Kudos
cstejerean
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same problem after upgrading to Fusion 11 Pro. Version 10 did not have this issue but I decided to upgrade to 11 in order to ensure best compatibility with Mojave. The end result is that I can no longer run my VMs at all unless I jump through very specific hoops every time. It's ridiculous that the net result of spending $119 to upgrade from 10 Pro to 11 Pro for better compatibility with Mojave and Windows 10 is a product that does not work most of the time. Time to see about getting a refund I guess.

For anyone else having the same issue, if you quit Docker while Fusion is running and then restart Fusion it will not work. You need to first quit Fusion, then quit Docker, then re-open Fusion and then it should work.

0 Kudos
KevenLRX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problems with Docker installed. Restarting the OS can solve the issue but that just temporarily. Restarting Docker does not solve the issue immediately, at least for me.

HOWEVER, when I click on the VMWare Helper on the toolbar, I saw that it showed all my virtual machines are running, even though they were appeared to be off. I then clicked stop button on one of the virtual machines in the helper and clicked start. I was being to start the virtual machine immediately. Mikero

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 12.43.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-27 at 12.47.51 PM.png

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Happened also while resuming a Fusion 11 VM after having run Parallels Desktop 14: "too many virtual machines"...

0 Kudos
sol0ama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there an update coming? Fusion is unusable for me at this point. Quitting Docker works about 40% of the time. Restarting fusion/MacOS does not ever work.

0 Kudos
garrettn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The proposed "Correct Answer" does not work for me. I can try quitting/relaunching things in all sorts of combinations and ultimately I'm rebooting my machine multiple times per day. Maddening. Well at least when I'm giving a talk and have to reboot, the attendee's can all have a laugh at vmware.

I'm running

* 2018 MBP 10.14.1

* VMWare Fusion Pro

Come on guys, get this fixed. Embarrassing for a paid "Pro" product.

0 Kudos
garrettn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see there was a 11.0.1 version released with a fix. I'm trying it tonight!! Excellent and thank you.

0 Kudos