VMware Communities
royzart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 11 VMware tools update fails

I've just upgraded to Fusion 11.0.0 on a 2015 15" Macbook Pro 10.13.6. My guest is Windows 10 Home 32 bit. When I try to update VMware Tools, the task fails with "Product: VMware Tools -- Error 1920. Service 'VMware Alias Manager and Ticket Service' (VGAuthService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" This occurs even though I am logged in as an administrator.  When I try to start the service in question manually, I get the message: "The VMware Alias Manager and Ticket Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

After going thru the documentation online, I was going to uninstall VMware Tools manually thru the guest's Control Panel. However, it's not listed among the programs. There is in the guest C:\Program Files\VMware the folder VMware Tools.

So how can I can get the tools updated?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zhaokaiy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, royzart

Would you please try the following steps?

1. Remove all the contents at C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools

2. Fusion main menu > Virtual Machines > Install VMware Tools

3. In the windows, open the CDROM with the vmware tools in it and install

View solution in original post

10 Replies
zhaokaiy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, royzart

royzart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! It was necessary to boot the Windows 10 guest in safe mode first to remove all the files in C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools. Then everything went just fine.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A quick question to try and understand how the situation arose.

How were you doing the upgrade of tools?

Did you manually run setup from a command line, or from Explorer.exe and selecting setup with the mouse?

If running manually did you specify any options at all?

Could you also go to the logged on user temp directory and collect the vminst*log and vmmsi*log files?

e.g. in command window

cd %TEMP%

The log files might show us some useful information.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
royzart
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used both the Virtual Machine menu item and the command line (d:setup.exe) to try the install/update if VMware Tools. Neither approach worked. The log files are rather lengthy in their entirety. Can I send them to you?

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you can compress them and send them.

Hopefully, if you have a OneDrive or something you can email the share link to sgoddard@vmware.com.

It looks like the MSI database was in an inconsistent state somehow.

Would be great to get hold of the logs at least to see if they show anything.

Thanks for reporting this.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, this worked!

0 Kudos
VMichFu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Still the same install fail VGAuthService. Virtual Windows 7. I try older VMware Tools before and the installation was successful. But I still can't copy paste between host and virtual Win7!

1. Remove all the contents at C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools (in save mode)

After I restart.

Still the installation fail because VGAuthService

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here is one workaround I have given to another customer to get the tools to install.

It involves installing the VC runtime packages independently from the tools install.

Here are the steps to do that:

1) You have to first extract the vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe

- Run cmd.exe as administrator

- In cmd.exe window run either "d:\setup.exe /x" or "d:\setup64.exe /x" (no quotes needed)

- In the same cmd.exe window type "cd %TEMP%\{Some GUID number}~setup"  Note the GUID depends on the version of tools.

- In the same cmd.exe window type "dir" you should see in that folder vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe

2) You have to run and install the 32 bit VC runtime package on 32 and 64 bit VMs and the 64 bit VC runtime package on 64 bit VM

- In the same cmd.exe window if you are using a 64 bit VM run "vcredist_x64.exe"

- In the same cmd.exe window (for 32 bit and 64 bit VMs) run "vcredist_x86.exe"

3) Once both have installed correctly you can go ahead and install the tools

- In the same cmd.exe window type in a 32 bit VM "d:\setup.exe" or for 64 bit VM "d:\setup64.exe"

Thanks. Steve
AndyJeff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same problems installing VMWare Tools in Windows 8.1. I've tried all the suggestions here and can't get past VGAuthservice failed to start. Any help would be gratefully received.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I'm having the same problems installing VMWare Tools in Windows 8.1. I've tried all the suggestions here and can't get past VGAuthservice failed to start. Any help would be gratefully received.

If VGAuth service doesn't start it is highly likely to be the VC runtime package install that is not succeeding in its install.

You said you tried everything that was suggested here. So you did extract the vcruntime_x86.exe [and vcruntim_x64.exe] from the setup[64].exe /x option?

And both packages (if on x64 Windows 8.1) installed successfully?

What version of tools are you installing or upgrading too?

What is listed in Control Panel -> Programs and Features > Installed Programs list?
Is Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x86|x64) listed? If so what versions e.g. 14.22.27821

Otherwise, can run a command prompt and cd %TEMP% and collect the vminst.log files and send it to me at sgoddard@vmare.com ?

Or get it to me so I can take a look?

I would like to see what VGAuth errors are generated. It might be something else is occurring in your setup.

Thanks.

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos