VMware Communities
Abcd_012
Contributor
Contributor

Free trial for Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Hi- I'm new to this although I have a pretty old Mac. Can I download a free trial of an old version of VMware Fusion or is the free trial only version 5? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I suspect the free 30 day trials are only for the current major release versions (which will not run under Mac OS X 10.5.8) although you might want to contact VMware Sales directly.

If you want to give Virtualization a try under Mac OS X 10.5.8 and you can't get a free 30 day trial of a version of VMware Fusion that's still supported and runs under it then I'd suggest trying VirtualBox and is free! Smiley Wink  The last version of VirtualBox shown to support Mac OS X 10.5.8 was 4.1.22 and I've included the relevant links below for your convenience as this is not a VMware Product nor a support forum for VirtualBox however I just wanted you to have an option if need be. Smiley Happy

Download VirtualBox 4.1.23 (98MB)

MD5 Sum:  708512613d2ffa4908ad0a089ad4d475 VirtualBox-4.1.23-80870-OSX.dmg

(Note: The Mac OS X 10.8.2 release includes some incompatible changes which require adaptions in VirtualBox. Therefore the original 4.1.22 build was replaced by a 4.1.23 build.  However this should still work with Mac OS X 10.5.8)

Download Extension Pack for 4.1.22 All Platforms (10MB)

MD5 Sum:  dafb1a66c0f88b7ffecc2b325223b669  Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.22-80657.vbox-extpack

Download VirtualBox 4.1.22 User Manual (PDF) (4.9MB)

MD5 Sum: 356493319a41d5fa3ff0b1205d5b6b75 UserManual.pdf

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I believe the license of fusion version 5 is backward compatible with older versions. Not sure though.

My advise, contact vmware and verify it.

Cheers! Avanish
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure why your replying to me and not the OP however...

avanish wrote: I believe the license of fusion version 5 is backward compatible with older versions. Not sure though.

While  VMware has in the past made a newer version serial number of some of its products work in a previous version then released after the fact, nonetheless a VMware Fusion 5 serial number will not work in a previous  version of VMware Fusion that is supported under Mac OS X 10.5.8. (I know this since I had already tested it.)

My advise, contact vmware and verify it.

Already said "...although you might want to contact VMware Sales directly."! Smiley Wink

Additionally while I'm quite sure if VMware wanted to they could supply a 30-day serial number for say VMware Fusion 3, being the last version that will work on Mac OS X 10.5.8, however I suspect they wouldn't and advise the User it's time to move on and upgrade appropriately and is in part why I supplied the VirtualBox info as I believe at this point in time it's a more viable option with an OS and hardware that is that many generations old then getting a free 30 day serial number for VMware Fusion 3.x at this point in time.  Obviously any Intel based Mac that came with Mac OS X Lion installed is not compatible with Mountain Lion and or VMware Fusion 5 so Abcd_012's choices considering the age of the hardware is limited.

@Abcd_012 as I previously said "...although you might want to contact VMware Sales directly." it certainly doesn't hurt to ask and if you do not get anywhere with getting a serial number for VMware Fusion 3.x, the last version that will run under Mac OS X 10.5.8, then you have the VirtualBox info as an alternative. Smiley Happy

Abcd_012
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Not sure why your replying to me and not the OP however

Thanks for pointing that out.  . Didnt knew that. Was always clicking on the reply available at the bottom . Will make sure that I address the correct person while replying.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos