VMware Communities
buddilly
Contributor
Contributor

FileVault 2 on OS X Lion creates kernel panic due to VMware Fusion 3.1

I have been on the phone with Apple tech support for a couple of hours over the last week. When I try to encrypt my HD with FileVault 2 it always crashes at the end and creates a kernel panic. The issue is that Apple says the log is telling them that VMware Fusion 3.1 is the problem...but I need Fusion AND I need my HD encrypted.

Any thoughts? Please help me.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
greg409
Contributor
Contributor

Are you on a laptop and therefore only have one internal HD? If so, (and I don't use FileVault so I'm assuming it makes you ecrypt the entire disc partition), why not create a separate partition just for your Fusion VMs, and then use FileVault to encypt everything but that partition?

Then if you have to encrypt your VMs too, use a separate utility for that. Perhaps you could put them in a encrypted disc image (which is easy) if nothing else is easier?

0 Kudos
buddilly
Contributor
Contributor

There are no options in FileVault to exclude a partition - it is either on or off. Good thought but I don't think it will work for this situation. I'm open to other ideas Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ric_D
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using FileVault 2 in OS X 10.7 with Fusion 3.1.3 and I'm not having any problems. Are you using Boot Camp (I'm not)?

0 Kudos
buddilly
Contributor
Contributor

No, I am not using bootcamp. This is so strange that I am having the issue and you aren't. I have even uninstalled VMware Fusion and then reinstalled clean on Lion. Nothing improved...

0 Kudos
Ric_D
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm... Is VMware running while you are encypting your drive? I know that when I did the initial encyption, I had Fusion totally shut down.

0 Kudos
buddilly
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. It is not running and the computer has been restarted so nothing should be running in the background related to Fusion.

0 Kudos
greg409
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not using it but from what I read about it, it only encrypts the partition that contains the startup System. Then you have to go into the terminal to give it more commands to encrypt any other partition you might have because the preference pane has no options for that. i.e. from what I've read it will do exactly what you want if you put your VM's in a separate partition (and use an encrypted disc image for the VMs if you want them encrypted too).

In other words, people are complaining it is hard to get File Vault 2 to encyrpt the non-startup partitions because it excludes them automatically. Perhaps you are assuming the opposite just because there are no options in the preference pane.

See this article from someone that has both a System (startup) partition and a Data partition and what they had to do to get file vault 2 to encrypt the Data partition.

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/1935/lions-whole-disk-encryption

0 Kudos