VMware Communities
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy of a 5.02 version virtual machine

Hello folks,

I have the VMWare Fusion 5.02 version installed on an iMac running Mavericks (10.9.5) with a Windows XP virtual machine in it and I am considering to upgrade to El Capitan.

Would it be possible to copy this virtual machine and then paste it in the VMWare Fusion version 8?

Thanks for any help

GUGAPAL

4 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi GUGAPAL,

Thanks for using Fusion. I'm not very clearly about your question. Are you going to backup VM for El Capitan installation?

And have concern that if Fusion 8 can open Fusion 5.02 VM backup?

Thanks,

- Tim

0 Kudos
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I need to run Windows on my Mac, because of an old IBM's Lotus Organizer, where I have several things, since 1996,  I don't want to get a rid of.

As I plan to upgrade my iMac to El Capitan and I know VWware Fusion 5.02 won't run with this new OS X, I am considering to buy VMware 8, install it in my machine which is running with Mavericks and after that, already with VMware 8 and Windows XP virtual machine running, I would upgrade to El Capitan.

Hope it is clear now.  I would appreciate your help again

Thanks   GUGAPAL

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

It should work, but I have not tried exactly what you want to do. I have more than one Windows XP virtual machine guest running under El Capitan host on VMware Fusion 8.1 and they work very well. There are no problems or issues.

What is different between your setup and mine?

I was running Mavericks on the host computer (an iMac) and upgraded the Windows XP guests with VMware Fusion 6 and 7, before I got to Fusion version 8 while the host Mac was still running Mavericks. A few weeks ago I upgraded the host Mac from Mavericks to El Capitan.

If it were me, I would do the following:

• Make a backup copy of your Windows XP virtual machine.
  • Upgrade to the free trial version of VMware Fusion version 8.1 while your host Mac is still running Mavericks.
  • Verify that your Windows XP virtual machine continues to work as expected. You can upgrade the virtual machine hardware to version 12 and the latest VMware Tools, too.
  • If it works (and I am reasonably confident that it will work) then upgrade your host Mac to El Capitan.
    • (If it fails, remove VMware Fusion 8 and reinstall VMware Fusion 5, then restore a copy of your backup virtual machine.)
  • Remember to pay for the VMware Fusion 8 to get a license code before the trial version expires. 🙂
GUGAPAL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vmxmr,

Thanks. I 'll try what you suggested

Regards  GUGAPAL

0 Kudos