VMware Communities
krschacht
Contributor
Contributor

Control Key Flake in Fusion Unity

Fusion works great for the most part, but I have one lingering issue which is a huge pain that I can't resolve.

Whenever I'm using CtrlC, CtrlV to copy and paste text throughout windows apps, half the time I do this the Ctrl key doesn't register. When it doesn't work it just thinks I pressed 'C' or 'V' so it replaces whatever my selection was with the letter 'C'. Quite annoying.

This only happens when I'm in Unity mode. When it really starts to annoy me I exit unity and it always goes away. But it's so much more convenient to use Unity so I always end up changing back.

Some more info on the issue.. I thought maybe I'm pressing the key combination too quickly for the VM to register, but even when I press Ctrl and hold it for a good second then press 'C', I still have a 50/50 chance of it realizing that I'm holding Ctrl. Half the time it still overwrites the text I selected with a 'C', quite annoying.

Also, I say 50/50, but this occurs in spurts. I'll use an app and have no problems at all for an hour. Then an hour later I'm back in windows using the same app again, and then I'm pressing Ctrl+C ten times before I can get it to copy. And everywhere in between, sometimes I just get a random failure here and there. And in between good and bad periods, I won't change anything (that I'm aware of), for example, I don't restart the VM or anything, but then an hour later it seems to be functioning great again.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Maybe some additional clues: I'm a long-time windows user so I have switched Command & Control on my Mac (in the standard Settings panel). And I think I may have had to indicate the reverse of this somewhere in the VMware settings to get it to work properly in Windows. But other than that I don't think I have any special keyboard mappings. And I'm using I'm using Win XP, service pack 2. I've upgraded to the latest version of Fusion (just a few days ago) and it didn't help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nathan_Barnett
Contributor
Contributor

I have this exact same issue. I am using all the default key bindings in Windows and Fusion. I am running a Windows XP guest as well.

0 Kudos
krschacht
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed this on my wife's computer too and the exact same issue is occurring. She just bought a brand new iMac so it's even faster than my couple-year-old MacBook Pro.

Anyone at VMware have more info?

0 Kudos
derek888
Contributor
Contributor

Any response from VMware on this? It's happening to me too...I'm using a brand new Macbook Pro, default install (with default key-mappings) and Windows XP as the guest.

In Unity mode, about half the time the control key is not recognized, i.e., I press ctl-C to copy, and it just types the letter "c". When this happens, I can keep the control key pressed, and then press "c" over and over, and it keeps typing the letter "c". But if I immediately release the control key and press again, then it usually works.

As the other user experienced, trying to cut, copy, paste, or undo (ctl-x, ctl-c, ctl-v, ctl-z) only works about 50% of the time in typical use.

As such, for someone who depends on these shortcuts (I do a lot of coding and find these and other shortcuts essential), it makes Unity useless without some cumbersome workaround (for example, disabling key mappings not a good solution, because it causes Windows start menu to appear if you switch to a Unity program via cmd-tab; also -- someone in another thread suggested third-party software to try to work around the bug http://communities.vmware.com/message/1192002#1192002 - I haven't tried it yet, but should I really have to install more software to fix this issue that VMware is ignoring?)

VMWare, ARE YOU LISTENING? People have reported this at least as far back as March (saying that they had been waiting a long time with no response).

Having the keyboard function properly should be considered essential functionality, and while you've seen fit to upgrade other things, it is a total wonder why you've ignored something so fundamental, that you've obviously known about for many months.

At least say SOMETHING... like it's being fixed, etc.

0 Kudos
WilliamReid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

I've tried replicating this issue within Windows XP Pro SP3 and cannot seem to make it happen in either Unity or Fullscreen modes. Both CTRL x, c and v are behaving as they should.

I've tried these exercises on both my MacBook Pro keyboard and the Bluetooth external Mac keyboard I am using.

Please enable debugging via "VMware Fusion" >> "Preferences.." >> "General" tab and Check "Diagnostics. Might be a good idea to reboot the guest for a fresh log file while your at it.

Once you have debugging enabled, please replicate the issue and immediately run the support tool. "Help" >> "Collect Support Information"

Attach the .tgz file to your reply and I will investigate further.

0 Kudos
ryangraham
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I know this is a somewhat old thread but I've been seeing this behavior a lot too. I turned on debugging and collected the support information right after the problem occured which I've attached to this post. If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks,
Ryan

0 Kudos