VMware Communities
csperkins
Contributor
Contributor

Command-tab and Option-tab

Hi,

I am using Lubuntu Linux on VMWare for a certain project. I wish to disable Command-tab when in VMWare from switching to running Mac OS programs and cause it to instead switch programs in Lubuntu. Option-tab already switches programs while I'm in Lubuntu but I just can't work that into my workflow. Command-tab is natural and automatic. Does anyone know how to implement this desired behavior? I can switch off Command-tab in the VMWare settings, but I don't know how to make it to be used instead of Option-tab when in Lubuntu.

Thanks very much.

C. Perkins

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1. Uncheck 'Enable Mac OS host Keyboard Shortcuts' in the VMWare settings->KeyBoard&Mouse ->Mac Host Shortcuts tab.

2. Add new key mapping from VMWare settings->KeyBoard&Mouse ->Key Mappings.

using "CMD+TAB" to map "ALT+TAB"

This works on my Windows VM

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

While what dakangz suggests should work in Lubuntu (it does in Ubuntu too) however changing Command (Supper key in Ubuntu)+Tab to Alt+Tab will break whatever Command+Tab does in Lubuntu.  I haven't used Lubuntu however as an example in Ubuntu, Supper+Tab activates the Launchbar and allows one to walk through what's on the Launchbar.  Since you are using two different OSes I'd encourage one to add Alt+Tab to one's muscle memory and conform to the given workflow paradigm of each OS.

I understand how you feel as when I first started using a Mac and running Windows in a VM I changed a few key mappings however it cause the loss of inherent and expected functionality in some cases and became problematic at times.  I removed the non-native key mapping and made a point to adapt to the given workflow paradigm of each OS and it took no time to get proficient at both.

0 Kudos
csperkins
Contributor
Contributor

It worked.

Thanks, much appreciated!

0 Kudos