VMware Communities
jkozlow3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot copy .vmware bundle to network drive (super slow). Don't have this issue with other large files.

I'm trying to simply copy my .vmware Windows 7 bundle to a network drive so that it's backed up. It's only around 7GB (expanding) and it's split into 2GB hard drive chunks (the default installation option).

When I try to copy the file via Finder, it says something ridiculous like 9 hours remaining! I have a 30GB Parallels VM that I created (fixed disk size & not split into 2GB chunks) when evaluating Parallels and I can copy that entire file back and forth over the network in an hour.

What gives? Anyone have any ideas why I can't copy this particular file in a reasonable amount of time? The VM was stopped (except whatever services run in the background upon OS X bootup) and the host was rebooted multiple times without success.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Shutdown, not suspend, from within Windows the target Virtual Machine.

2. On the Virtual Machine Library Windows ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show In Finder and then close Fusion.

3. In Finder ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and select Show Package Contents.

4. In Finder delete the Applications folder from within the target Virtual Machine Package and then empty the Trash. (Note that the Applications folder within the target Virtual Machine Package will be recreated as needed.)

5. Now try copying the target Virtual Machine Package.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Shutdown, not suspend, from within Windows the target Virtual Machine.

2. On the Virtual Machine Library Windows ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show In Finder and then close Fusion.

3. In Finder ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and select Show Package Contents.

4. In Finder delete the Applications folder from within the target Virtual Machine Package and then empty the Trash. (Note that the Applications folder within the target Virtual Machine Package will be recreated as needed.)

5. Now try copying the target Virtual Machine Package.

0 Kudos
jkozlow3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Woody. I had already shut down the VM (I've never used suspend) but I'll try the rest of the steps when I get home tonight.

0 Kudos
jkozlow3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked! Not sure why, but it did!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This worked! Not sure why, but it did!

Without getting into technical details suffice it to say that I suggested the steps I did because in almost every case like and similar to this it has been the solution and that coupled with the fact that the Applications folder within the Virtual Machine Package and enclosed Helper Applications will automatically regenerate as needed so there's no sense in copying it especially when it causes copy/move operations to either take absurd amounts of time or cause it to outright fail.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yet another reason why Fusion shouldn't create them if they aren't needed (e.g. if all the host integration is turned off). Waste of time, CPU, and disk space.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I prefer Parallels methodology in the particular area then VMware's methodology since Parallels only creates Helper Applications for and as a given program is used while VMware chooses to enumerate and create for all .exe files, including ones that would never be windowed to begin with, and whether or not they'd ever get executed. VMware's approach in the area is not very well thought out and is very poorly implemented and needs to be improved and they should take a few lessons from Parallels in other areas as well!

0 Kudos