VMware Communities
midwest12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot access Windows Virtual Machine from OSX!!! Please help!

Attached is a screenshot of the error I get when I try to open my virtual machine and a screenshot of the error if I try to delete the snapshot through "Settings". I reverted to an older VM through Time Machine, now I get this error when trying to run the VM. I tried uninstalling, deleting the VM, shutting the computer down, reinstalling VMware Fusion (which already had my serial number filled in for me), and then reverting back to the saved VM through Time Machine. No luck. Now, instead of a few files gone that I wanted to recover... I cannot access my VM at all. Not good, any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Probably worth adding that I got the unistall idea from another thread from "Jibbit" with subject tiled "Lost access to Fusion after Time Machine restore" Maybe it would work if I reinstalled and my serial number wasn't filled

in? Anyone know any more tricks besides shutting down inbetween

uninstall and install?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ben, It was good talking to you and after you get your data from mounting the copy of the .vmdk files just create a new Virtual Machine from the base .vmdk file and go from there. Once you're satisfied you have all your data you can get rid of the copy you made on the external drive. If you have any other questions just post them and one of us will try to answer.

Have a good one.

Woody

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are the vmdk files still avaiable? If they are you might be able to build a new VM but use the vmdk files as an existing hard disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
midwest12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to get this out there right away, I'm a newbie and only know the basics of terminal. That being said...

The VM I want to restore is 25 GB. I know, I totally messed that up by not keeping my files on the host and only the apps on the VM but that's where I'm at. I do see the vmdk file. Are you suggesting I create a new VM and can then somehow access my inaccessible VM (bestest litl' buddy from screenshots) as an existing hard disk? If so, could you please expand as to how to do that? Complicating factor is that I only have ~3 GB left on my host out of 80 GB.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ben, It was good talking to you and after you get your data from mounting the copy of the .vmdk files just create a new Virtual Machine from the base .vmdk file and go from there. Once you're satisfied you have all your data you can get rid of the copy you made on the external drive. If you have any other questions just post them and one of us will try to answer.

Have a good one.

Woody

0 Kudos
midwest12345
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still sorting through the data but have full confidence in restoring the VM... thanks for the very personalized help, it is much appreciated.

0 Kudos