VMware Communities
kimhick
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Connect to VMWare Horizon VDI Clients from VMWare Fusion MS Windows Host

I have two Windows 10 Workstations working as VMs under VMWare Fusion (Player Version 12.2.4 (20071091)).  I cannot connect to VMWare Horizon VDI Hosts on our network and discovered that if I try to ping those hosts I get a "General failure" error even though routing is working to that subnet and there is not an intervening firewall:

U:\>ping WIN10-21H2-03

Pinging Win10-21H2-03.occ.comptroller.co.orange.fl.us [172.30.1.153] with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for 172.30.1.153:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

U:\>ping 172.30.1.1

Pinging 172.30.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.30.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=61
Reply from 172.30.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 172.30.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

I can ping and connect to those VMWare Horizon VDI Hosts using Windows 10 installed on traditional hardware.

I tried uninstalling VMWare Tools on my VMWare Fusion Hosts, reboot the host then reinstall VMWare Tools but that had no affect on the issue.

I am at a loss on what to try next.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It is strange that you can get a successful ping on an IP address that appears to be on the same subnet as the ones that fail. 

Are you using bridged or NAT networking?

what macOS version are you running?

Networking configuration of the guest might be helpful ( network mask, default route, virtual network adapter type)  

Have you tried running tracert to trace the Horizon hosts and the address that does respond to the pings?

Can you ping the Horizon hosts from the Mac?

Does the native Mac Horizon client connect to your hosts?

I assume a ping using the IP addresses of the Horizon hosts fails as well? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
kimhick
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this is all very strange .  I have never ran into anything like this before.

I am using bridging but I did switch to NAT but it didn't make any difference.

My MacOS is Monterey 12.6.1 (21G217).

The Network settings are 172.30.1.0/24 with at gateway of 172.30.1.1.

The network adapter for the VMware Horizon Hosts is "vmxnet3 Ethernet Adapter"

The network adapter for my VMWare Fusion Hosts is "Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection"

The tracert command just returns a "1 General failer" error.

I can ping all of the VMWare Horizon Hosts successfully from the Mac Hosting the VMWare Fusion Hosts.

I cannot ping however my VMWare Fusion VMs from the VMWare Horizon VDI Hosts either.  But I can ping the Gateway to the network where the VMWare Fusion Hosts Reside. And I can ping my Mac from the VMWare Horizon Hosts. Other hosts on our network can ping my VMWare Fusion VMs as well.

And yes, I have tried pinging by both hostname and IP address.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Some additional thoughts...

You said you can ping the Mac from the VMs. Can you ping the VM's from the Mac?

Other hosts on our network can ping my VMWare Fusion VMs as well.

This is even stranger. Since other hosts on your network can ping these two VMs there's something very wonky here.

What do the network routing tables on your VM say (windows command: route print -4)? And are they the same as those on systems where you can ping the Horizon hosts?

Have you run the Windows networking troubleshooter to see if the network configuration in the VMs raises any red flags?

What build of Windows 10 are you using (run winver in the VM)?

Was this a fresh install of Fusion, or has it been upgraded from earlier versions on the same Mac? Try a full uninstall of Fusion per KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838 (not just dragging the app to the Trash, but rather seek and destroy all of the support files that don't reside in the bundle). Then reinstall Fusion and see if the symptoms change.

You might also want to try the following steps in the VM, from a Microsoft community post https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/general-failure-error-with-ping/2b50fdd4-f4f4-...

Assuming that you have at least Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) checked, do the following:

• Open an Elevated Command Prompt (click Start, type Command Prompt in the Search box, right-click on the line, and select "Run as administrator"; respond as needed to the UAC prompt).
  • Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter after each line
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /flushdns

If those commands didn't help, sometimes uninstalling the network adapter and rebooting (which will automatically reinstall the adapter) helps.  To uninstall, go to Device Manager, right-click on the adapter, and select "Uninstall."

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos