VMware Communities
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't move VM from another computer?

When I try to move a VM file from another computer I get the message "The item "Windows Vista" contains one or more items you do not have permission to read". If open the package, I see that I have permission to read and write on the .nvram, .vmdk and .vmsd files. On all .log files my name is however listed twice. Once with a single person icon saying Read & Write, and then again with a two-person icon saying Read Only. Does this have anything to do with it? It's not possible to change the two-person icon saying Read Only to Read & Write. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, I managed to change the permissions on the VM on the other computer from that computer. It didn't work over the network.

After I managed to copy the VM over to my new computer, I saw that the permissions had changed again. Now it was read only again. After changing the permission on each individual file in the package to Read & Write, I now can't open the VM. I get an error message that says "The document "Windows Vista" could not be opened". Any ideas?

0 Kudos
glibik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permissions of the directory containing the files?

Ownership of the directory and files?

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VM is in a directory called "Virtual Machines". That directory, the VW itself and all the files in the VM Package has the following privileges under Sharing & Permissions:

MyHome (Me) - Read & Write

staff - Read only

everyone - Read only

I don't know how to check for ownership.

When I try to open the VM it says "The document "Windows Vista" could not be opened. It was created with Fusion 1.0, now I'm running 1.1.1.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know why I can't open my VM?

0 Kudos