VMware Communities
patjdixon
Contributor
Contributor

Can't install Win10 image

See attached images.  I am getting a crash when I try to setup a 32 bit win10 VM.  I got the image from 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you are using VMware Fusion.  You can search the forum for issues with Win10-32bit. 

Otherwise - type of Mac? host OS and version?  Fusion version?  vmware.log for the VM you're attempting to run/build?  

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I just tried Windows 10 22H2 downloaded from Microsoft at the same link under Fusion 13.5.1. I got the same BSOD during setup.

Here's what to check.

Before powering up the VM, go to the VM's settings and check the virtual hard disk. If it's saying NVMe, click on the Hard Drive icon, then open the Advanced settings. In the advanced settings, change the disk type from NVMe to IDE or SATA (I used SATA). 

Close the VM's settings and restart the installer. When prompted for the installation destination, you may find that the disk has already been partitioned. Either delete all the partitions and start from scratch or choose the largest existing partition. The Windows installer should then complete.

I suspect some kind of incompatibility with the NVMe driver in the Windows 10 installer and the VMware NVMe device. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Does Fusion still support 32-bit guests?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

Does Fusion still support 32-bit guests?

I would certainly hope so - it should still support 16-bit guests, too!

If not, then even more horrible news post-Broadcom acquisition.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot Yes it still does support 32 bit guests. I’ve got Win XP and 10 32-bit up and running. I think I also got a Windows 98 VM running (took some of the crowd-sourced Windows patches to work around some of the issues when running 95 and 98 on any newer cpus).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos