VMware Communities
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can XP from Virtual PC v7 be used for Fusion Ware?

I've just ugraded to an Intel iMac and purchased Fusion ware.

Had troubles with compatability of Fusionware with OSX 10.5.2 and also the lack of some printer drivers for OSX 10.5.2, so I reformatted the hard drive and installed OSX 10.4.10.

Printers are now working as all of the drivers were available.

But....

I was previously using Virtual PC v7 on my G5 iMac and that software came with a licenced version of Windows XP on a separate disk called "Virtual PC Disk 2" with a zipped file of XP Pro on it.

I've tried installing the XP disc that came with Virtual PC a number of times. The disk appears on the Mac desktop and then disappears from the Mac desktop when Fusionware starts up. Trouble is Fusion ware keeps saying "PXE-E53: No boot filename received MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM. Operating system not found".

Any clues or suggestions are greatly appreciated?

teirnav

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't know why you could use the disk with the Fusion beta but not with version 1.1.1, but if you have access to the working XP VPC virtual machine you were using on the G5 iMac (either through a network share or by copying to an external drive), you can import that with the free VMware Importer: http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/importer_tool.html

You will need to reactivate XP after importing it to your new Mac, but this is generally not a problem with XP (OEM versions aside).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe the copy of WIndows that comes with Virtual PC is tied to VPC, much like an OEM version. If so, it cannot legally (if you live in a place where the EULA is valid) be used with Fusion. There's also the technical problem that a "zipped file of XP Pro" , whatever that happens to look like, is not the bootable CD format that Fusion (or any physical computer) would need to install Windows.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's odd. Last year I installed a Beta version (of VMware Server I think?) on a Mac Pro. There was no problem installing XP from the disk that came with Virtual PC and getting Windows to run.

I just tried and was able to upgrade to the current version of Fusion and it all works on the Mac Pro, Windows runs, etc.

Trouble is I want to install Fusion on my new iMac and not the Mac Pro.

Am I doing something wrong?

Why would the Beta version allow the install of the XP disk on the Mac Pro and the current version of Fusion not allow XP to be installed on my new iMAC?

cheers

teirnav

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's odd. Last year I installed a Beta version (of VMware Server I think?) on a Mac Pro. There was no problem installing XP from the disk that came with Virtual PC and getting Windows to run.

Other VMware products (I'm not sure if Server is one, but it wouldn't surprise me) can read the Virtual PC hard disk format; Fusion currently cannot. This could explain your success with the other product but not with Fusion, since (without knowing for sure) it would not surprise me if the VPC XP CD contained a VPC disk image.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just checked what I installed on the MacPro last year. Sorry but it was not VMware Server that I installed. It was VMware Fusion for Mac (build 41385). The info that came with it says

"VMware Fusion for Mac is a desktop application that lets you create and run virtual machines on your Intel-based Macintosh. VMware's first product for the new Intel Macs makes it easier than ever to take advantage of the security, flexibility, and portability of virtual machines".

Why would the Beta version of Fusion let me install Windows XP from my Virtual PC disks and Fusion version 1.1.1 not allow the same disk installation?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why would the Beta version of Fusion let me install Windows XP from my Virtual PC disks and Fusion version 1.1.1 not allow the same disk installation?

There should be no difference.

0 Kudos
patje57
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I believe the copy of WIndows that comes with Virtual PC is tied to VPC, much like an OEM version. If so, it cannot legally (if you live in a place where the EULA is valid) be used with Fusion.

I've read trough all of the paperwork that came with VPC7, can't find any limitation on the use of the XP Pro version that came with it, not in the EULA, not on the packaging, not on the license sticker,.. MS (re)activation system treats it like a full version too. There's the technical problem with the boot CD indeed, but it should be possible to get a replacement CD from MS.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't know why you could use the disk with the Fusion beta but not with version 1.1.1, but if you have access to the working XP VPC virtual machine you were using on the G5 iMac (either through a network share or by copying to an external drive), you can import that with the free VMware Importer: http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/importer_tool.html

You will need to reactivate XP after importing it to your new Mac, but this is generally not a problem with XP (OEM versions aside).

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

etung wrote There should be no difference.

I agree there should be no difference but unfortunately for me there is.

What's more the I have sent VMware Tecnical support two e-mails and have not got a reply yet (Mallesh at VMware Support Request SR# 1104133681).

I fear they are backing away from the problem which I and other purchasers of their software are having in installing a working virtual machine. My 30 days of free support is getting less and less.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

etung wrote There should be no difference.

I agree there should be no difference. Unfortunately for me there is and I'm unable to get a virtual machine working on my iMAC.

My 30 days of free customer support is getting less. Sent two e-mails to VMware Technical support yesterday and no reply yet.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

patje57 wrote: I've read trough all of the paperwork that came with VPC7, can't find any limitation on the use of the XP Pro version that came with it, not in the EULA, not on the packaging, not on the license sticker,.. MS (re)activation system treats it like a full version too. There's the technical problem with the boot CD indeed, but it should be possible to get a replacement CD from MS.

I spoke with MicroSoft yesterday about getting a replacement disc. They were sympathetic of my problem, the operator agreed that I should get a replacement disc and spent about five minutes talking to his superior.

Guess what, Microsoft want me to buy a new Windows XP Pro disc (if I can get one), or upgrade to Vista.

There does not seem to be any justice and the software companies are taking us for a big expensive ride to just keep on spending more on their products.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks.

Will try this tonight and report back.

0 Kudos
teirnav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jim.gill wrote I don't know why you could use the disk with the Fusion beta but not with version 1.1.1, but if you have access to the working XP VPC virtual machine you were using on the G5 iMac (either through a network share or by copying to an external drive), you can import that with the free VMware Importer: http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/importer_tool.html

THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOILA!

Many thanks to all, especislly jim.GIgill

very much appreciated.

But sadly the VMWare technical support was no help in this instance.

0 Kudos
koppelman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like to perform the same install of Virtual PC's Windows copy onto VMware fusion as has teirnav.

1. When using the VMware import tool, what is the name of the Windows XP file that I need to identify for importation?

2. Does the importation of Windows XP using this tool, obviate the need to run Windows easy install feature in VMware; or rather does one employ the VMware import tool when the easy install wizard asks for the source of the Windows XP file?

Many thanks

koppelman

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would like to perform the same install of Virtual PC's Windows copy onto VMware fusion as has teirnav.

1. When using the VMware import tool, what is the name of the Windows XP file that I need to identify for importation?

2. Does the importation of Windows XP using this tool, obviate the need to run Windows easy install feature in VMware; or rather does one employ the VMware import tool when the easy install wizard asks for the source of the Windows XP file?

Many thanks

koppelman

1. When you start the Importer, open a Finder Window to the folder containing your VPC7 package (it'll probably be named something like "Windows XP", the .vpc7 extension is normally not shown. Drag the entire folder and drop it on the Importer main window. Or, if you prefer to use the Importer's menu File|Open, choose the same folder and click the Open button.

2. The importer copies the disk drives of your Virtual PC7 virtual machine. These drives contain an already-installed copy of XP and all your programs and data. As it copies, it makes adjustments in the copied drive; it turns off the VPC7 Additions, installs any drivers needed to make the disks, mouse and keyboard visible, and schedules the installation of VMware Tools. You don't use Easy Install, because Windows is already installed in the VM that Importer creates for you. Because the new VM will look different to XP (VMware's virtual motherboards look different than Virtual PC's), you will likely need to reactivate Windows XP once you boot it up; for XP this is normally not a problem.

0 Kudos
koppelman1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much.

My VPC 7.0 was purchased as an upgrade to VPC 6.0

My VPC 6.0 was purchased as an upgrade to VPC 5.0

It is my VPC 5.0 that came with the Windows XP CD-ROM.

When I import VPC 7.0 using VMware importer will the Windows OS be in that file?

koppelman

P.S. My user name for this post is koppelman1 because when I logged in as koppelman, I received a message saying that such a user name had already been taken. It was I who registered as koppelman just 5 days ago.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes.

If it runs in VPC7, it will run in Fusion (after you import it).

0 Kudos