VMware Communities
cheriton
Contributor
Contributor

CD drive not recognized from Fusion or Boot Camp

I have previously installed Boot Camp on my Mac Pro and was able to install Windows Vista. However, in Vista I was umable to install Office 2007 as the disk was not recognized when I put in in the drive. I looked for it in Explorer but no drive recognized.

I downloaded a trial version of Fusion but experienced the same problem.

Any suggestions out there on how to get the CD drive on my Mac Pro to be recognized in a Windows Vista environment?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

Try to :

\- Eject the cd from your mac.

\- Check that your cd-rom is linked to the VM

\- Reinsert the cd

It should appear in your vm.

0 Kudos
cheriton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a try!

Best regards.

0 Kudos
mtatmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it only the Office 2007 CD that is unrecognised under boot camp or all CD's? If all, then you need to resolve that problem first I think. If just the Office CD I have no clue.

I would assume that if Fusion is trying to run the BootCamp partition as a VM it will not have access to anything that Boot Camp does not.

Do you have the latest version of Boot Camp? I know there were later revisions to deal with some Vista issues.

Try installing Vista under a pure Fusion VM - you can always blow it away later if disk space it tight. If you can see that CD - and you will know pretty much right away, then it is probably safe to assume that the issue is with the boot camp drivers for your CD under Vista.

0 Kudos
eknauft
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the vmware log from your VM's directory? (You'll have to right click on it to open the package contents and the file will be called vmware.log)

Also, you might try the following:

1) In VM settings, make sure the CD-ROM drive has "connected" checked. Try rebooting with this setting.

2) Are there any messages about a drive not being able to be connected at startup?

3) Try choosing cdrom0 instead of Autodetect as the cd-rom backend.

4) Try creating an ISO image of the CD and installing from that.

Please let us know if any of these help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AikidoJAPAN
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar issue with the latest version of Fusion 2.0.2.147997.

I don't have accees to the physical CD or images because the NECVMWar VMWare IDE CDR10 ATA Device CD properties reports

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

(see attached screenshot)

Have tried updating driver under the drivers tab but that just says I have the latest driver installed already.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
velum
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMware Fusion Version 2.0.5 (173382) and I am having the exact same problem as .

JF

0 Kudos
velum
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoudyZ!

Yeap! That solution works! I had found it too a few days ago and it solved my problem. I posted it in another thread on this forum, but I had forgotten to post it in this thread too. Thanks for posting it! It will certainly be useful to other users with the same problem.

Cheers!

JF

0 Kudos
Spoinzy
Contributor
Contributor

After toying around for a minute, what eventually worked for me was inserting the CD, then while my virtual machine was running, going up to the Mac's top menu bar, going to "Virtual Machine", going down to "CD/DVD", and clicking "Connect CD/DVD".

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos