VMware Communities
Bjones74
Contributor
Contributor

Boot Camp Vista x64 SP1 and Windows Activation

I installed Vista 64 on my boot camp partition and activated it. . . then when I got Fusion to recognize Boot Camp as a 64 bit OS properly I booted it up and installed VMTools and attempted to activate. It told me my serial was already in use. . but I had another and used it to activate. When I went booted back directly to Vista it reactivated again. And then when I booted it back up in Fusion it had to reactivate again and this has proven to be a continuous cycle.

Can anyone else confirm that SP1 for Vista breaks VMTools ability to manage activation? Or is this a 64bit issue or a combo of both?

Thanks,

-BJones74

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Medy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same exact problem with XP SP2. My 30-day support with VMWare ended and I can not get support. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Currently VMware Tools supports handling activation changes due to underlying hardware changes moving from native Boot Camp to Fusion in 32-bit Windows (XP and Vista x86). This support matches what Apple supports in Boot Camp on all machines except the latest Mac Pros which also support x64 in native Boot Camp.

I have Vista SP1 x86 (32-bit) installed in Boot Camp (BC) and that is working properly between BC and Fusion with VMware Tools. The only solution I know for x64 activation is to use Vista Enterprise with a built-in key management server (KMS) and for XP x64 use a volume-licensed version. The enterprise and volume versions are self-activating and do not require contacting Microsoft for activation.

0 Kudos
Medy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I do have MacBook Pro, so I guess I am out of luck!

0 Kudos