VMware Communities
mwirth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AutoCAD 123D hangs Fusion 3.1.2 hard

AutoCAD has released a beta of their new (free 🙂 CAD program, 123D (http://www.123dapp.com/) which runs on various versions of Windows, including XP.  Requires "Direct3D" support.  When run on a WinXP VM it hangs both Fusion and Mac OS X.  Here are the details submitted to the 123D beta forum:

Running 123D (32-bit) in a Windows XP (with latest updates) running in a VM on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo using VMwares Fusion 3.1.2 (latest rev) and Mac OS X 10.6.7 (latest).

The VM is allocated 2 CPUs and 2 GB of RAM. 3D acceleration is turned on and reports the following:
Enable 3D graphics for the following virtual machines:
• Windows XP: DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 3 and OpenGL 2.1
• Windows Vista and Windows 7: DirectX 9.0EX with Aero and OpenGL 2.1

When I installed 123D, the process paused to upgrade the DirectX software from MS (which completed normally). 123D installation completed without error message.

When I start 123D, I get the "Get Started!" window as reported in Nick's msg. But when I attempt to open the sample project, I get a HARD HANG! In fact, it's so hard that sending a CTRL-ALT-DEL to the VM does nothing. It even freezes the Fusion engine. I have trouble killing the process on the Mac OS X side. In one attempt, it even froze Mac OS X and I had to do a hardware shutdown and reboot! Have never(!) seen that with any WinXP app running in VM before! I suspect something really deep in the graphics chain -- Very impressive 🙂

Actually Mac OS X is probably still running, but the display is frozen, so it doesn't matter.  I had to do a forced shutdown on the Mac to recover.

Did some additional testing with VMware Fusion on my Mac (configuration described above). Varied the GPU optimization settings in Control Panels > Displays > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot in the VMware SVGA II (dated 4/21/2010, vers: 11.06.00.0035) virtual GPU driver. There's a slider with 6 settings ranging from all optimizations on to none.

With the lower settings, 123D complains about insufficient graphics support and won't start. With the higher settings, it hangs. No useful intermediate setting.

Definitely looks like something VMware needs to address. I'll see if I can get a copy of this thread into a bug report for them. Would be useful if the VMware and AutoCAD teams could collaborate on this one 🙂

I've downloaded the DirectX SDK from MS; presume the DirectX diagnostic tool is contained therein.  Will try to do some testing on both 123D and Fusion.

Anybody at VMware have any idea what's happening here?  Any hope of getting it fixed? 🙂

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Glad to hear, thanks for the update 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Does the issue happen with Windows 7 also?

-
0 Kudos
mwirth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mikero asks: "Does the issue happen with Windows 7 also?"

Don't know.  Don't have a Win7 VM.  (Is there a Win7 VM that I can download that's a "30-day free trial" or some such?)

Mike

0 Kudos
mwirth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey, folks at VMware -- Thanks for the Fusion 3.1.3 release!

Downloaded it today and the Autodesk 123D beta 4.1 now runs without hanging Fusion and the complete Mac display system Smiley Happy

Well, at least 123D starts up and opens a sample file, "robot man", OK.  I can pan, zoom, rotate the view and change view mode (wireframe, shaded, etc.), all without crashing.  More testing soon....

Mike

Palo Alto, CA (walking distance from VMware HQ 🙂

PS: BTW, I'll be happy to be a beta tester for VMware 4 -- use a number of graphics and engineering Windows (and soon Ubuntu Linux) apps.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Glad to hear, thanks for the update 😃

-
0 Kudos
mwirth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Note that this problem has been fixed in Fusion 4.x (in conjuction with more recent releases of 123D)

Thanks, VMware.

Mike

0 Kudos