VMware Communities
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

3.0.1: BSOD Stop 07E (Faulty dxgmms1.sys) with Windows 7 64bit

Hi there,

I was quite happy with the 3.0.1. update regarding speed and overall performance. This morning tried to wake up my

suspended Windows 7. Took very long resulting in BSOD with STOP 0x7E. I did a hard reset, tried last known good, same result.

Tried hard reset with safe mode boot, same result. Suddenly i realized that the only difference this morning was my iPhone connected through USB.

Removed my iPhone from USB and Windows booted normally?! Put it on USB again, and got a BSOD again. Think I've to open an support incident and collect some more information for the support staff. The V3 Update is a disaster for me because I need theses windows machines to earn my money cause my customers only have windows machines. I'm a VMware customer since years now and this peace of software always was rock solid! For the moment it looks like this isn't true anymore.

I've to admit that I already gave Parallels 5 a try, but the client tools are very buggy at the moment (no clock/date sync. after suspend etc.) but the performance is outstanding!!!

So VMware, please fix this buggy release and let us enjoy your desktop products again!

PS:

Got the bluescreen again, the error is located in dxgmms1.sys. This problem is present since the update to 3.0.1.

I'M working with Windows 7 since the first public beta, never had a bluescreen under VMware?!

Stephan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephan,

i can confirm this BSOD on my W7 64bit installation with OSX 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro Unibody. I got better results and a more stable system in deinstalling the VMWARE SVGA 3D WDDM and use the Microsoft Standard VGA driver (:= no Aero). In the past with Fusion 3.0.0 i never got this BSOD.

On next step i try to install the old v3.0.0 VMWARE SVGA driver...

The performance with Fusion 3.0.1 is ok with my notebook. Perhaps with my SSD i did not get the performance issues in the i/o subsystem.

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

yesterday I also tried the following because I did an update of the VMware Tools only.

- Uninstalled VMware Tools

- Reboot

- Clean Install of VMware Tools

- Reboot

Since then, my maschine worked all day (and night, had a little nightshift cause of an customer update Smiley Wink

What I didn't since these update is to plug in my iPhone again, will try this today again and see what is happening.

Are you able to reproduce the BSOD?

Regards

Stephan

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephan,

yes i also uninstalled and reinstalled the 3.0.1 tools. But the BSOD appears again. I have a self written 3.5 .Net program running and using a external host on the internet with SOAP requests. The tool refreshes one form every 10-30 seconds. I can reproduce the BSOD when i minimize the W7 64 bit VM in the dock and reopen the VM windows after ca. 20 minutes. The VM windows is black for ca. one minute and the W7 memory dump starts up. The OSX seems to freeze up in this time before the W7 dump starts, but comes back again some time later...

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

interesting, the same type of failure here (minimizing, restore, hanging OS X etc.). Next time i get the BSOD I'll open a support case and send the memory dump to the VMware stuff (and because I want to do this no BSOD will come g, also a kind of a solution)

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
andyn31
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also getting stop 7E bugchecks in a 32 bit Win 7, related to restoring from minimized/sleep mode. I think I have memory dumps available, but I don't know how/where to post them to be of value. I've never had stability problems w/ Fusion until 3.0.1, and now it crashes all the time.

All I see on the VMware support page are paid support incidents - I'm not going to pay them to look at their memory crashes Smiley Happy Is there a better place to post those files?

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

hi Stephan,

it is impossible for me to get W7 64bit working over more than 2 hours with the VMware SVGA 3D WDDM form v3.0.1. See the screenshot in the attachment. It is very frustrating to see that the VM crashed/looped with a BSOD...

I hope VMware fixes this issue fast !!!

I have also vmware-logs, but i cannot really understand what is inside

Dec 16 11:37:20.238: mks| MKS-EmuSVGA: Can't map source

Dec 16 11:39:29.780: vcpu-1| Setting thread 63 stack size to 1048576.

Dec 16 11:54:01.687: mks| MKS-EmuSVGA: Can't map source

Dec 16 11:54:03.990: vcpu-1| Guest: vm3d: VM3DQueryCurrentFence: Legacy sync invoked. Potential performance bottleneck.

Dec 16 11:54:27.317: mks| MKS switching absolute mouse off

Dec 16 11:54:28.869: vmx| VMXVmdbCbVmVmxExecState: Exec state change requested to state poweredOff without reset, soft.

Dec 16 11:54:28.869: vmx| TOOLS sending 'OS_Halt' (1) state change request

Dec 16 11:54:32.064: vmx| GuestRpcSendTimedOut: message to toolbox-dnd timed out.

Dec 16 11:55:25.704: vcpu-0| CPU reset: soft (mode 2)

Dec 16 11:55:25.705: vcpu-1| CPU reset: soft (mode 1)

Dec 16 11:55:25.708: vcpu-0| PCIBridge4: ISA/VGA decoding enabled (ctrl 0004)

Dec 16 11:55:25.708: vcpu-0| pciBridge4:1: ISA/VGA decoding enabled (ctrl 0004)

Dec 16 11:55:25.708: vcpu-0| pciBridge4:2: ISA/VGA decoding enabled (ctrl 0004)

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

same BSOD as on my machine...

I'm testing Parallels again, because I need to work with this machine in a production stable state.

Deactivating Aero is no option for me...

Annoying situation because VMware delivered rock solid software over the years, but the combination of Snow Leopard and

Windows 7 seems to be too complex to handle at the moment although Windows 7 is available for testing since 01/2009.

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

hi Stephan,

1) I extracted from Fusion 3.0.0 vmtools all the Windows64 drivers (setup /a)

2) I installed Fusion 3.0.1 new

3) I installed recent 3.0.1 tools in the VM

4) i downgraded the VMware SVGA 3D driver v7.14.1.34 (3.0.1 // 21.10.2009) to v7.14.1.31 (3.0.0 // 17.9.2009).

- in W7 system hardware/driver wizard you must delete existing VMware SVGA 3D driver (3.0.1) from disk, then reinstall 3.0.0 Version from extracted administration point

- let system search for video drivers including subdirectories, base dir is the extracted 3.0.0 directory

5) All other vmtools/drivers in the W7 64bit VM stay from v3.0.1 (recent version).

There was NO BSOD since the SVGA 3D downgrade. I also installed PD5 some days ago, but VS2010B2 did not work in debug mode with PD5 3D mode is activated. It had same look (black inside VS2010B2 code window when debug with breakpoint is active) as the VMware with the recent driver (3.0.1). ...but PD5 did not BSOD. The performance i/o between PD5 and Fusion 3.0.1 in my mind and feeling is equal.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

hi Stephan,

my issue with BSOD IS SOLVED now by this simple workaround:

1) i installed the recent VMware SVGA 3D video driver form 3.0.1 tools (WDDM v...34)

2) i set in the "System and Security options" - "Energy options" - "Energy Plan" - SWITCH OFF SYSTEM MONITOR = NEVER

3) all the other energy saving parameters remain default, so i set for testing only "enable energy saving mode for the W7 computer to 1 minute"

4) i minimized the W7 64bit VM in the dock

5) ... the W7 switched to energy saving mode (standby) and i restored the VM from the dock after around 2 minutes without BSOD

6) I set the energy saving options on OSX 10.6.2 for monitor/computer to 3 minutes + "shut down harddisk option" is enabled

=> in my mind the BSOD with current WDDM video driver results only if the energy option for the system monitor is enabled !

=> my MBP switched correctly in the standby mode, i also closed the notebook, disconnected the power cable, ... chassis LED pulsed

=> W7 64bit Aero works fast and stable after "wakeup"

I did a performance measure after updating the the SVGA 3D WDDM driver and raised for 3D graphics (games) from 3,4 to 3,9 := +14% up.

Here are my results on a MBP with a SSD HD:

Prozessor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz 6,2

Arbeitsspeicher (RAM) 2,00 GB 5,5

Grafik VMware SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 4,9

Grafik (Spiele) 288 MB insgesamt verfügbarer Grafikspeicher 3,9

Primäre Festplatte 4GB frei (30GB gesamt) 5,9

VS2010B2 works now fast without any issues, "W7 energy saving options" do not work in unity mode in my test environment

=> I prefer Fusion 3.0.1 over PD5, because i cannot see a real significant performance benefit and i must be compatible with VMware ESX with my other VMs.

@VMWARE: thanks for a great release !

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try (well be able to test it tomorrow) and send you a feedback.

Are you working with the Nvidia 9400 or 9600 enabled in OS X ?

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

hi Stephan,

i am not a gamer, so i use 9400M and the temperature in my MBP unibody stays around 60C. Today i installed an played a bit with PD5 (latest version) second time and yes PD5 seems to boot and shutdown W7 64bit faster. Also the W7 build in "speed-test" wrote out:

Prozessor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz 6,4

Arbeitsspeicher (RAM) 2,00 GB 5,5

Grafik Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) 5,0

Grafik (Spiele) 511 MB insgesamt verfügbarer Grafikspeicher 4,0

Primäre Festplatte 38GB frei (64GB gesamt) 7,4

All the measure values are higher compared with Fusion. Much impressed me the harddisk value of 7,4. But there are some things strange with PD5, for example the boot up and down time. When i setup a native HP PC with 4GB and 2,8 Ghz CPU with W7, the boot time is longer than with fusion, so how can PD5 boot so fast??? ...which boot up process/check is missing? What is missing in shutdown process, ... dumping the memory back to harddisk? Also i would not classify a virtualization product in measure the boot uo/down time.

bootcamp partition is the worst version of virtualization with fusion in my mind, because of partition boundaries/block sizes on the same harddrive.

Also there are many video modes in PD5 coherence/crystal/single window/fullscreen and in all this modes my MBP flapped fast the screen to black and back in graphics for 1-3 times. Aero mode in W7 is sometimes missing when you change the video mode in PD5 and sometimes there is a not useable area of the hidden taskbar from W7 on the screen. Also i cannot say that PD5 is more powerful or much faster when the jitter executes my VS2008/VS2010 .NET IL-code.

After disabling the monitor shutdown feature stays the W7 64bit VM absolute stable today.

I am really glad not to run into the worse performance problems of some other guys in this community.

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

back home again and try to boot my vm this morning, bluescreen again 2 times.

Only thing helped was a hard shut down, close Fusion, start it again. Then my VM

startet right up. Checked theses options, already turned them off in the past because

i assumed that there is some trouble with the driver when the system tries to save energy.

So in your case it may have helped to turn this settings off, in mine the problem seems to

be located at another part of Fusion Smiley Sad

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

hi Stephan,

this are no good news... One more question: Is your W7 Installation clean out of the box or do you have installed additional programs/games since first setup?

The change i did on my BSOD VM was to downgrade the video-driver to v.31 and than upgrade again to v.34. Perhaps there is the solution in the "magic registry"? If i find time this weekend i will repeat a clean W7 install.

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

i migrated this installation from Fusion 2.0.6 so it is not a clean installation. BSOD appears during start of W7, so it will not reach the logon screen.

When it comes to this situation it seems to be reproducible, only solution is as already described to do a hard shutdown of the machine and close Fusion and start it again. After that, W7 boots up to logon screen and I can work normally.

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
peter177
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stephan,

just for your information... I installed yesterday the latest PD5 Build 5.0.9308 and this release is really amazing, no BSODs, no problems until now... In the past i got openGL exceptions in OSX 10.6.2 with Fusion 3.0.1 when i switched in my dualscreen environment from the "Fusion preview mode window" over the "unity symbol" in the bottom line of this preview window, so Fusion 3.0.1 crashed down.

The PD5 guys fixed now with the current Build 5.0.9308 my previous issues with the MS WPF framework dev and VS2010B2. This works perfect now also in my dualscreen environment. The disk performance value stays at 7,4 and is very fast on my old SSD. So i am near with my decision to change my virtual layer to PD5 on my MacBook Pro. Perhaps you are right ...

In my mind now the Fusion devs worked hard but need to work harder to get access to PD5 Build 5.0.9308. The distance between disk i/o and WDDP video driver stability is really big and i am not happy when i think about to migrate a PD5 VM to ESX.

regards, Peter

0 Kudos
SystemFuchs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

i bought the actual PD5 and this weekend I installed the latest build. Today is my first work day with the new build, no problems so far.

You can use Fusion 3.0.1 to migrate your PD5 disk image, it has the capabilities with the latest update. From there you can migrate it to ESX Smiley Wink I'll give PD5 a fair chance on my MacBook Pro.

On my iMac I'm still working with Fusion because I only use it once a week. So I have a good opportunity to test the next update for Fusion on my iMac.

Regards,

Stephan

0 Kudos
DarkStar_DS9
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same Problem:

OS X 10.5.8

Fusion Version 3.0.1 (215242)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with all critical Updates

Crashes every time when starting Startrek Online, see Screenshot.

Regards,

Rainer

0 Kudos
cdanr
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the exact same BSOD only it seems to be totally random. It often occurs during shutdown. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I'm using Fusion to access my Boot Camp install of Windows 7 x64. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Update: Are those experiencing this BSOD using Boot Camp installs in which you have installed the real ATI drivers (via Mobility Modder)? This is my situation so even in Fusion the Catalyst Control Center was loading at startup. I shut down the Catalyst and so far it hasn't crashed again... knock on wood. Note that I never get the BSODs in actual Boot Camp so I am hoping this is just something as simple as a disagreement between Catalyst Control Center and the VMWare SVGA drivers.

I'd be interested to hear if others experiencing this BSOD are running Catalyst.

0 Kudos