VMware Communities
InventorGrissom
Contributor
Contributor

100% REPEATABLE BUG REPORT: "vmware.vmx (not responding)" after VMware Fusion is shut down - slows iMac to a dead crawl - and I know why.

NORMAL: When VMware Fusion Professional Version 8.5.10 (7527438) is shut down, it takes about 7 minutes and 45 seconds before vmware.vmx is automatically removed from iMac Activity Monitor and everything continues to work just fine.

I CREATE THE PROBLEM: Because normal VMware Fusion shut down leaves my memory cache maxed out, I developed a habit of immediately running Memory Clean 2 after shutting down VMware (Win 7). Memory Clean 2 zips through fast until about 96% done then vmware.vmx changes to "vmware.vmx (not responding)" in Activity Monitor and my iMac slows to a dead crawl. It then takes Memory Clean 2 about 9+ minutes to progress from 96% to finish. This is 100% repeatable. If I do NOT use the memory cleaner the problem does NOT occur.

I am aware of how most techs hate memory cleaners and this may be one of the reasons why BUT, I've been using it avidly for over a year and this is the only problem it MAY have ever caused. It's probably a Memory Clean 2 bug (guessing) and I have reported this to them. They replied that they hadn't heard of this before but are looking into it.

I am posting this here in the event others may be encountering this same problem for the same reason.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Well, memory cleaning tools are not recommended for use with virtualization engines at all.  Since there's no real reason use one on a modern OS (particularly on OSX), stop using it.

0 Kudos