VMware Cloud Community
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

vcops 25 vm pack licensing

Please share your thought.

if i only have 25 vm pack standard license for vcops and i have 40 virtual machine in my cluster is it possible or can i select  25 vm to be monitor by vcops? if possible what are the step need to configure? if not what is the impact to the exceeding virtual machine?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's not a great situation to have, in that you can't tell vC Ops which to apply a license to. If you can split up the monitoring at a cluster-level, that would be ideal, e.g. 25 VMs in one cluster (licensed for vC Ops),  the rest in other clusters. Splitting up the monitoring any other way (e.g. monitoring only 'some' VMs in cluster) would give you a split monitoring scenario, which is not the greatest situation to have since it gives you blinds spots int he infrastructure. Basically you see hosts, clusters, and data stores utilizing resources, but you only "see" a subset of the workload (VMs) consuming the resources.

You limit vC Ops's pervue of moitoring using vCenter perms on the vC Ops collection account. You can 'no access' the account at the VM & Templates levels as well as Hosts and Clusters level to block vC Ops from grabbing stats on the VMs.

vC Ops counts 'powered on VMs' against the license count and updates that count every 20-30min.

See the following KB on split/subset  monitoring:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103619...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

thanks i read this KB also and perform the no access at the cluster level.

i stimulate this i only have 1 cluster with some vm running (not more 20 vm). before i deploy the VA i create a user with no access at cluster level and use for vcops. when i access UI using the account i created as expected the cluster will not appear. the day after i assume that when i check vcops license the vm number count it still 0/25.. but the result vm running still count on the vcops license.

the procedure i've make

1. create a user with no access at cluster level

2. use the account for vcops

even i have 1 cluster i expected that the vcops is still 0/25

did i miss something in the my setup?

thanks

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The permissions also need to be set at the VM & Templates view.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

i set it also on the vm and templates view but what i see is datacenter/ folder/ vm that why i set it on the datacenter with no access. also at the datastore as said in kb.

or should i select it per vm with no access at the vm and templates. but the kb said you cannot provide access to individual vm. and my understanding when i set no access at the datacenter level at vm and template all under the datacenter will be set to no access also.

thanks

0 Kudos