VMware Cloud Community
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vRops - Searchable Dashboard to view VM Stats

Hi,

I am wanting to create a searchable metric chart dashboard where I want the ability for application owners to see VM stats such as CPU, Memory etc over a period of 1 hour, 1 day, week and month (basic info on how the vm is going). I don't want these users to be able to search anything else other than this single dashboard either

have played around a little in this area but don't seem to be making a lot of headway. Could someone please assist in this area? I am running 6.6

7 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I am guessing the dashboard you have is an OOTB one in 6.6. I am on 7.0 and cant remember if it is or not.

Based on that there would be a object list widget that shows all VMs. If this is the case and you want to limit the View to only show their VMs then you best bet is to:

1. Clone the entire dashboard
  2. edit and clone each view associated with each widget
  3. clone (copy and create new) the metric config file for the chart

Once that is done create:

1. New group type
  2. Create a new group selecting the group type create above and add you membership rules so it includes all the VMs you care about

back in the dashboard edit the list wedgit

1. click the deselect all button just under the select which tags to filter
  2. scroll down the list (root of the list) and expand the name of the group you created. you should see the name repeated with the number of VMs in a bracket
  3. select it and click save.

Share out the dashboard to the users.

abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for your help but having issues with the data.

I add object list to a dashboard and that lists all the VMs (This is searchable) then I add a metric table and add CPU and Memory usage but it displays all information but CPU & Memory usage. I keep going around in circles.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

Because you are running 6.6 you will need to create a metric config file for the chart. if you dont you get the default metrics in the chart.

Go to administration, expand configuration and select metric configurations

select ReskndMetric and click the + and enter a name

dont touch the body of the data but click adapterkind at the top and in the list select vcenter adapter and then go. This will insert the adapter kind into the body

again not touching the body of the data resourcekind should now be selectable. clicking it select the object type. In this case virtual machine and click go. This will insert the resourse kind into the body

now the metric should be selectable. Select all the metrics you want added to the chart before you click go. This will add all the metrics you want into the body. Then click save.

Go back to your chart and and add your newly created metric chart from the metric configuration drop down.

Now when you select a VM it will show you what you added to the configuration file.

On a side note the rest of the label colour etc in the metric configuration is for using that file in a scorboard. You can also add properties to a scoreboard using the same method

abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks heaps. I appreciate you going into detail to assist. Hopefully one final question. Is it possible to setup the dashboard so when users login to vRealize Ops Manager this dashboard is the only item they can see and use?

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

managed to create a dashboard only group view but all dashboards are available to view in the environment not just the cpu/memory one I created. Still haven't figured out how to load the dashboard as soon as I login either but working on it.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

The best way i have found is to upgrade to 7.0

This will allow you to share a dashboard link. The link will only open that dashboard and not show any other. But before you do any upgrade check the posts here and in google for what you will lose if you go to 6.7 or 7.0 as this could be product breaking depending on what you use it for

abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi sxnxr. I have just successfully upgraded from 6.6 to 7.0. Will give it a day then look into this shareable dashboard feature which is in 7.0. Thanks

0 Kudos