VMware Cloud Community
xtrmntrkowalski
Contributor
Contributor

vROps without Hyperic agent

We're running vROps 6.0 and we're looking at removing the Hyperic agent from our VMs since:

1.  It caused a lot of CPU performance issues (which have now been resolved).

2.  New management would like to test the agent on a small number of Dev VMs before rolling it out once again and this time installing it on all of our VMs.

My question is how effective is vROps without the Hyperic adapter/metrics?  It is my understanding that Hyperic allows us to get metrics and historical data from the different apps running on our VMs as well physical servers.  I assume certain monitoring and alerting of our environment will still be available to us if we uninstall the agent.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

After removing agent, you won't able to get metrics on discovered resources and auto-discover a new. vROPs gives you high level about VM. As you mentioned Hyperic agent gives deep info about VM, such as OS (e.g. Windows, Linux, AIX, Solaris), processes, applications and DBs. IMHO  you should investigate the reason of high CPU (e.g. a lot of non default monitored metrics, short time interval, a lot of monitored services/processes, check if debug mode is opened).

If you up to now have been worked with hyperic agent it will disadvantage for you to work without.

0 Kudos