VMware Cloud Community
aamodei01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROPS # of Notifications - 3?

I'm using vROPS 6.20a - and I am doing some notification testing, and I'm noticing the following, is anyone else?

I have configured a very basic notification rule as such:

Capture.PNG

and I've noticed that I only get 3 notifications emails, then it just stops sending them. Notice the other fields are blank. It doesn't seem to work the way it's written, or I'm missing something in the docs, I did pull this from the vROPS docs through:

SectionDescriptionNotes
Notify again (Standard Email Plug-In only) Number of minutes between notifications messages for active alerts Leave the field empty to send only one message per alert

Max Notifications

(Standard Email Plug-In only) Number of times to send the notification for the active alert Leave the field empty to send only one message per alert
Delay to notify (Standard Email Plug-In only) Number of minutes to delay before sending a notification when a new alert is generated For example, if the delay is 10 minutes and an new alert is generated, the notification is not sent for 10 minutes.  If the alert is canceled in those 10 minutes, the notification is not sent. This reduces the number of notifications for alerts that are canceled in a short period of time

So reading this, I would say that based on my setting above, I SHOULD receive an email every 10 minutes, forever until the condition or alert is cleared.

Can anyone verify the same/set me straight on this logic behind the notifications?

Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

The way i would read this is you would only get 1 email when the alert triggers that is it because your Max Notifications is blank so it will only send out 1 alert.

Max Notifications

(Standard Email Plug-In only) Number of times to send the notification for the active alertLeave the field empty to send only one message per alert

If this was set to 3 for example you will receive 3 emails. 1 when it is triggered, the second 10 mins later and the last in another 10 min (20 mins from original mail)

0 Kudos
aamodei01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey sxnxr,

I agree with you there, but if you look at my screenshot, the Max notification field is blank, yet I'm still getting 3 emails for the same alert, then it stops. Based on the docs and the interpretation we share, I would expect to get 1 email as well, but that's not the case.

Now, I know alert types are different in vrops based on what the triggers are, so in my test case, I have a simple alert def setup for detecting if SSH is enabled on a host (so I could turn it on and off easier to later test customizing the alert emails via REST).

I'm not sure it metric based alert defs are evaluated differently then symptom based, if this is a bug/undocumented default, if you have to set certain notification options (Notify again, Max Notifications, Delay to notify) together and can't used just 1 of them even though they are marked as optional, or something altogether different like since vrops sees the alert for x# of cycles, that is then defines that as the norm and starts ignoring it.

Thanks for the response!

0 Kudos