VMware Cloud Community
JPA_CDE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCops Health status always in 100%

Hi guys.

I just recently installed vCops 5.8.3. So, i created a Health Status Dashboard for a vmware folder... and health status is always in 100%.

vcops_health.jpg

Dashboard settings

vcops_settings.jpg

Any ideas, guys? Maybe something is wrong with mi dashboard settings?

Thanks

PD: vCenter Server 5.5.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

How long has vCOPS been running?

I ask this because it takes vCOPS 3 weeks to identify what is Normal, once it has an idea on how the object runs it will start displaying health more accurately

Basically Health will go up an down based on anomalies, workload and faults.

If there is a fault the health will instantly go red, for example if its a host then a redundancy lost error will cause the health to go to 0. Workloads and anomalies are based on what is considered normal.

Could it be these objects are just healthy?

Easy way to test is to cause an issue and see if its reflecting it correctly, and If you look at anomalies or workloads for those objects are data points in the gray coloured area which is the Dynamic Threshold that's been worked out?

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

How long has vCOPS been running?

I ask this because it takes vCOPS 3 weeks to identify what is Normal, once it has an idea on how the object runs it will start displaying health more accurately

Basically Health will go up an down based on anomalies, workload and faults.

If there is a fault the health will instantly go red, for example if its a host then a redundancy lost error will cause the health to go to 0. Workloads and anomalies are based on what is considered normal.

Could it be these objects are just healthy?

Easy way to test is to cause an issue and see if its reflecting it correctly, and If you look at anomalies or workloads for those objects are data points in the gray coloured area which is the Dynamic Threshold that's been worked out?

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
0 Kudos
JPA_CDE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCops just has one week running.

Thanks NuggetGTR. I will wait two weeks more.

But, i shutdowned a Virtual Machine and this VM still health 100%.

vcops_vm_shutdowned.jpg

vcops_vm_details.jpg

0 Kudos
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yeah being shutdown wont change the health at this point.

In the image of the health status where it says normal not yet calculated means it hasn't calculated what's considered normal so only a fault would change the health. Best to leave it running and wait until it has enough data to determine health.

Health is relative to what is considered "normal" for a virtual machine. for example if a virtual machine always ran at 90 - 100% CPU usage that would be considered normal and if it dropped to 50% usage, health would be impacted as its an anomaly and out side how the VM normally behave. So it needs the data first to make these judgements.

Cheers

0 Kudos
JPA_CDE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update

Finally, vCops is showing health.

vcops_vm_details_3weeks.jpg

Thanks Nugget.

0 Kudos