VMware Cloud Community
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Operations Standard requires more data to start the analysis

OK, everything was working perfectly until I had a problem with the vCenter server. Once that problem was fixed, I had to unregister and reregister Operations with the Virtual Center server as per the KB.

Now everything should be ok, it is showing the VMs under the license in the Licensing tab, I can log on to the OPerations server and web portal with no problems, but there is no data being shown at any level.

vcops.jpg

Can anyone help me with this please? 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you don't see data even after 15 min, then upload the diagnostics bundle and I will take a look at it.

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Thansk for the quick response. It has been like this since yesterday but I am seeing some capacity and health metrics when I drill down in to an object, but still nothing showing on the home page. Also, when I drill down to the vCenter server it shows Health as 0 but nothing else.

vcenter.jpg

How do I export the diagnostics for Operations?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Go to the admin page (vcops_url/admin), Status tab and click "Download" under Diagnostics Information. Upload this file. I am suspecting data collection problems.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is 1.0 Standard (e.g not 5.0) Smiley Happy

the admin UI is in "https://<IP>/AdminMain" url

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

It was actually under logs and Support Bundle. I have attached it here. I was almost tempted to delete the operations appliance and start from scratch but where is the fun in that?

Further information which may help, I ended up changing the password of the collection account. I updated it in the admin page and tested it and it worked fine, then I removed the permission from the relevent cluster and re-added it.

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Another think I have noticed. When I check the IP address in the Register Virtual Center Server section under admin, it shows

vCenter Server Address:https://10.1.1.251/sdk

If I try and connect to that address in IE, I get a certificate error. When I click continue, it gives me a HTTP 404 not found error. Could this be part of the problem?

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

The service at https://localhost/sdk is not an HTML webserver that can serve web pages. The service functions over the SOAP protocol (an .xml based protocol) and only responds to SOAP requests.
For example a SOAP protocol request will serve https://vcenteripaddress/sdk/vimService.wsdl page where vimservice.wsdl is the name of the Web Services Description Language (WSDL) webpage file provided by VMware.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up for me UmeshAhuja.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've checked the logs, important ones seem to be "Collector.log" and "VMwareAdapter_13.log"

Those should be the first logs to look at, as any connection/permission issues with VC will show up there.

In both can be seen that VCOps cannot connect to the VC server

Error #1:

------------------

2012-05-08 05:46:34,452 ERROR [VM Get Metrics worker thread 4] (13) com.integrien.adapter.vmware.BuildQSpecWorkItem.run - No Permissions for group-h83::Folder
com.vmware.vim25.NoPermission

------------------

Seems like there are problems with permissions - e.g. VCOps cannot access some inventory - maybe after you've changed something ?

Error #2:

--------------------

2012-05-08 09:23:45,206 ERROR [Collector worker thread 20] (13) com.integrien.adapter.vmware.VMwareAdapter.collect - Unable to connect! (in collect method)
2012-05-08 09:28:45,232 ERROR [Collector worker thread 11] (13) com.integrien.adapter.vmware.VMwareAdapter.getServiceInstance - Unable to connect! (in getServiceInstance method): null

--------------------

At some point it cannot connect at all.

I'd suggest to check again the new password/permission settings, check for connectivity issues between VCops and VC, and restart VCops

Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

That is strange. I have tested the collection account and have even been able to log on to the vcentre server with it. The account has read access to all of the VM's I want it to collect from.

I think I will have to log a job.

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

not quite sure what you mean wih that;

how are the permissions set - isolation should be at cluster or datacenters level.

another thing that comes to mind - can you change the password to a simple one, just for the sake of testing?

0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, isolation was at the production cluster level but to check the permissioning I had added the collection account to the administrators group on the vCenter server.

I have logged a job with VMware. There is no reason I can see as to why there are collector errors. Collection user name and password are correct and it has the correct access level in the relevant cluster.

0 Kudos
Cloud2011
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced the same issue last week and the issue happened when I restarted VCOPs VM and forgot to reconnect in vCenter Operations Standard Administration. Check if the vCenter Server is registered and if the vCenter Server Connection status is in Connected status.

happy_valdez
0 Kudos
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is registered and connected. I have tried unregistering/re-registering, changing registration and collection user names but no joy.

I actually have a free subscription upgrade to 5.0 Advanced so I think I will wait for VMware to fix my licensing then I will do the upgrade.

0 Kudos